Does dark matter act as a medium for sound to go through?

In summary: I'm a beginner in this field so any further elaboration would be misrepresentation on my part. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Sk8ernicky
The title basically says it all, I'm wondering whether dark matter will allow sound to pass through because if it does, that could lead to being a way how to detect dark matter.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dark matter is pressure-less. Sound is a wave of pressure. So no, dark matter doesn't conduct sound.

Sk8ernicky said:
The title basically says it all, I'm wondering whether dark matter will allow sound to pass through because if it does, that could lead to being a way how to detect dark matter.

Dark matter does not interact with itself or with normal matter except for gravitationally. You are talking about what amounts to collisions of molecules, so no, it doesn't.

Thank you for clearing that out.

Off of point a bit but... If all matter is 5% plus around 15-20% field of force around which I'm led to believe contains the likes of gauge boson particles then could we in fact say that the known mass is upto 30% and the DM is in fact the potential for mass to exist, or rather,travel seeing as all mater are waves.Mass attracting Matter travels through and is realized in this potential mass which I'm guessing is provided for by the Higgs?

Nadeem81 said:
Off of point a bit but... If all matter is 5% plus around 15-20% field of force around which I'm led to believe contains the likes of gauge boson particles then could we in fact say that the known mass is upto 30%

I don't know where you got this information from. From wiki:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/080998_Universe_Content_240.jpg [Broken]

As you can see, normal matter is about 5%, and dark matter is 23%. The rest is dark energy. (Which isn't related to Dark Matter)

and the DM is in fact the potential for mass to exist,

This is not true. Dark Matter is still not well understood, but it is not a "potential for mass to exist", whatever that even means. Dark Matter HAS mass. We can see the effects of it readily.

or rather,travel seeing as all mater are waves.

I don't know what this means. And matter isn't a wave like you are thinking. It simply has a probability of being found at a location that is determined by a wave function. Saying matter is a wave is a huge simplification and misunderstanding of Quantum Mechanics.

Mass attracting Matter travels through and is realized in this potential mass which I'm guessing is provided for by the Higgs?

I don't really understand what you are asking here either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly,thanks for the reply.Secondly,no I'm not an expertly and the only thing I am representing is a question.As for 'possibility for mass to exist',this is a rue formulation of a Newton thought experiment in response to Leibniz I believe.Now as stated I am no expert and intact would misrepresent myself to even call myself anything but a beginner in this field but I will try and re state my query.Bodies,whether a sand granule or a vehicle has a wave function which though is unobservable.We think of a body of containing mass but the Higgs hypothesis suggests that they attract mass.There are those also who believe space to be filled by the Higgs.So when for example the point singularity began to expand it may have expanded into mass and certainly the most recent theories suggest that their were external forces.Now fields of force although we use mass x acceleration to represent it mathematically is infant a probability field of the likes of the gauge and if you are to add the known mass to these probability fields it comes to around 25-30% in total which on the pic I am suggested leaves the rest which seems to correlate as this potential.And there are those including nobel laureates,1 in particular talking on natures utube channel who is skeptical about dark energy/matter etc.Again though,this is a mere supposition and am thankful for any responses.

Also,on an iPhone which is helping on the constant misspelling,sorry

I'm sorry, but I really can't understand anything you are saying/asking well enough to answer you. Some of it is my lack of knowledge, but some is the misspellings and confusing way you've worded it. I'd suggest waiting until you get to a real computer if you are having trouble on your phone.

So now I will try and properly lay out my hypothesis.Firstly a few important points
1)From granules of sand to vehicles to us,all is waves.Though the effects are negligible at the macroscopic.
2)We define force mathematically as mass x acceleration but in actuality a field of force is infact a probability field of the likes of gauge boson particles with mass.
3)If we are to now add this extra mass to the mass known we get from 20~30%
4)Space,rather than being a vacuum is thought now to be permeated by the Higgs boson which those bodies which have mass are attracted and gain their mass from.
Now remember that all are waves.If we take the waves of the ocean we notice that the wave moves but the movement of the actual water is minimal.Now if we imagine a body at point A attracting a portion of space permeated by the Higgs which in turn gives the body it's mass then on this picture when the body moves to point B the mass at point A stays where it is and is now returned to potential mass achieving equilibrium.The mass at point B now gives mass to the body.Bodies wave through an ocean of mass giving particles.
There is not universal consensus on DM/DE with one Nobel laureate physicist a vocal opponent as can be seen on Nature's utube channel.On my hypothesis we now have 30% known mass and perhaps the rest is the potential for mass to exist.And 'potentiality' is not a concept foreign to physics with Newtons laws dependent on it.This is all though a hypothesis open to and eager for criticism.

Nadeem81 said:
So now I will try and properly lay out my hypothesis.Firstly a few important points
1)From granules of sand to vehicles to us,all is waves.Though the effects are negligible at the macroscopic.

No, this is a huge misconception. It is true that particles have "wave-like" properties associated with their position, but they are NOT literally waves and waves alone. The description according to Quantum theories are far more complicated.

2)We define force mathematically as mass x acceleration but in actuality a field of force is infact a probability field of the likes of gauge boson particles with mass.

A field is not the same thing as a force. A field describes how objects will interact via forces based on various things like distance from each other, charge, etc. In essence you put a value at every point within spacetime that represents something with whatever force you are dealing with, such as the interaction between electrically charged particles.

QFT describes fields in a much more complicated, but similar way.

3)If we are to now add this extra mass to the mass known we get from 20~30%

Please provide a reference for this, as I have no idea where you are getting this number or how it is determined.

4)Space,rather than being a vacuum is thought now to be permeated by the Higgs boson which those bodies which have mass are attracted and gain their mass from.

The Higgs field is where particles gain their mass, not from the boson itself. Higgs bosons, if they exist, decay VERY VERY quickly.

Now remember that all are waves.If we take the waves of the ocean we notice that the wave moves but the movement of the actual water is minimal.Now if we imagine a body at point A attracting a portion of space permeated by the Higgs which in turn gives the body it's mass then on this picture when the body moves to point B the mass at point A stays where it is and is now returned to potential mass achieving equilibrium.The mass at point B now gives mass to the body.Bodies wave through an ocean of mass giving particles.
There is not universal consensus on DM/DE with one Nobel laureate physicist a vocal opponent as can be seen on Nature's utube channel.On my hypothesis we now have 30% known mass and perhaps the rest is the potential for mass to exist.And 'potentiality' is not a concept foreign to physics with Newtons laws dependent on it.This is all though a hypothesis open to and eager for criticism.

This borders on nonsense, and is definitely against forum rules on speculation and personal theories.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that makes up about 85% of the total mass of the universe. It is called "dark" because it does not interact with light and therefore cannot be seen directly.

2. How does dark matter behave?

Dark matter is believed to behave similarly to regular matter in terms of gravity, meaning it has mass and exerts gravitational force on other objects. However, it does not interact with electromagnetic radiation, making it difficult to detect and study.

3. Can sound travel through dark matter?

No, sound waves require a medium to travel through, and dark matter is not a suitable medium for sound. Dark matter does not have the necessary properties, such as density and elasticity, to allow for the propagation of sound waves.

4. Why do some scientists believe that dark matter could act as a medium for sound?

Some scientists have proposed the idea that dark matter could potentially act as a medium for sound waves due to its gravitational properties. However, this is still a hypothetical concept and there is currently no evidence to support it.

5. How do scientists study dark matter if it cannot be seen or heard?

Scientists study dark matter indirectly by observing its effects on visible matter, such as the way it affects the rotation of galaxies. They also use computer simulations and mathematical models to better understand its behavior and distribution in the universe.