Need Help With Learning Slope Intercept Form(Not Homework)

In summary, slope intercept form is a way to represent the equation of a line using the slope and y-intercept. It is derived from the point-slope form of the equation, which uses a point on the line and the slope. By understanding the point-slope form, one can easily convert it to the slope intercept form.
mogilem
So being as much of a simpleton as me I don't understand slope intercept form. I can graph simple linear equations like x=y+3 and things like that but I want to learn about slope intercept form and what it is(I have been entreating people like my friends, math teacher and parents to help me so this wasn't my first choice). Can anybody can please help me understand harder equations? As proof that I am not doing this to get the answer to a homework problem YOU get to design an equation for me. Now remember you are dealing with an idiot with -∞ I.Q so don't expect much.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Slope intercept form just uses the following fact: If you have a line, then if you pick any two points [itex] (x_1, y_1)[/itex] and [itex] (x_2,y_2) [/itex] you get that
[tex] \frac{ y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1} = m [/tex]
where m is the slope of the line. In particular if I tell you the slope of the line and a point on it, let's say the slope is 3 and (1,5) is a point on the line, then if (x,y) is on the line it must satisfy
[tex] \frac{y-5}{x-1} = 3 [/tex]
where 3 is the m above, (1,5) is the [itex] (x_1,y_1)[/itex] above and (x,y) is the [itex] (x_2,y_2)[/itex] above. This equation is the point slope form of the line.

What Office_Shredder described is actually the point-slope form of the equation of a line. In his example the equation uses a point on the line (1, 5) and the slope (3).

The slope-intercept form uses the slope and y-intercept.

From (y - 5)/(x - 1) = 3, multiply both sides by x - 1 to get y - 5 = 3(x - 1) = 3x - 3. Add 5 to both sides to get y = 3x - 3 + 5, or
y = 3x + 2

Here the slope is 3 (as before) and the y-intercept is 2, which means that the line goes through (0, 2).

I get it now thanks. Just recently I found a good youtube video that I couldn't finish watching but showed me a lot that helped me understand. Now that I have a rolling start I can probably be able to solve and learn more about slope intercept form without difficulty. When I was first learning people would give me advanced equations without even defining what slope intercept form is. Thaank you for your help.

Mark44 said:
What Office_Shredder described is actually the point-slope form of the equation of a line

OK, I obviously need to get more sleep :redface:

Very happy the you mentioned this Office_Shredder because now I know what I should learn next. To the land of youtube that throws up a counterfeit of entertainment but can be used for good things to.

1. What is slope intercept form?

Slope intercept form is a way of writing the equation of a line in the form y = mx + b, where m represents the slope of the line and b represents the y-intercept, or the point where the line crosses the y-axis.

2. How do I find the slope and y-intercept in slope intercept form?

To find the slope and y-intercept in slope intercept form, you will need to know the coordinates of two points on the line. Then, you can use the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1) to find the slope and substitute the values into the equation y = mx + b to solve for the y-intercept.

3. What is the significance of slope and y-intercept in slope intercept form?

The slope of a line represents the rate of change between the x and y coordinates, while the y-intercept represents the starting point or initial value. These values are important in understanding and graphing linear relationships.

4. Can I use slope intercept form for any type of linear equation?

Yes, slope intercept form can be used for any type of linear equation, as long as the equation is in the form y = mx + b. However, some equations may need to be rearranged to fit this form.

5. Are there any other forms of writing a linear equation?

Yes, there are other forms of writing a linear equation, such as standard form (Ax + By = C) and point-slope form (y - y1 = m(x - x1)). Each form has its own benefits and may be more useful in certain situations.