Masters research project help =)

In summary: I have been told that if I want to do research in physics I need to have a physics degree but if I want to do research in computer science I can just do it with a masters degree.In summary, John is a masters student who is thinking about doing his research thesis on a topic in computational physics. He is looking for a good topic for the masters level, but has not found anything suitable.
JohnAdamnyc
I am currently a masters student in a compsci program. I am thinking about doing my research thesis on a topic in computational physics. Is anyone involved in this area of research? I am looking for a decent topic for the masters level but haven't found anything suitable.

John Adam

I asked in another part of this forum but I think this might be a better place to ask.

Physics news on Phys.org
Computational physics...thats exactly the same thing which excites me..

Quantum Computing is one area that requires heavy computations..

One area which i am familiar with which requires computations is Focussed ion Beam System..because you have to treat each ion discretely and analyse it..Apparently what i feel is that if you can apply computer knowledge to any field you consider if you have expertised in it..i am saying if you can juggle both balls well..

this might be a tough one for you. computational physics is physics first and comp sci second. so unless you have a firm background in physics finding a topic in comp phys might be impossible for you.

inha said:
computational physics is physics first and comp sci second.

what is base of this statement..

I work with 3 computational physicists.

It is important to clarify that the standard program of "computational physics" is a PHYSICS DEGREE that emphasizes on computational methods. Thus, you are a physicist first and foremost. It is why a "computational physics" course is not normally offered by the computer science department but by the physics department. It is why computational physics professionals are under the wing of the a Physics society such as the APS rather than under a computer professional society.

Zz.

My background is Compscience/Mathematics but I have also taken
Physics I and II, Modern Physics, Electromagetic Theory, Quantum Mechanics, Statics, Dynamics Thermodynamics and a graduate E&M COurse which I received a B in all my classes.

I would like to go into physics but since I am doing computer science I felt I could attemp some computational physics research and at the doctoral level taken enough physics classes to qualify for another masters degree while I work on my pHd for Computers.

I just do not know if I should go into physics or stay in computer.

Last edited:

What is a Masters research project?

A Masters research project is a comprehensive and original study undertaken by a graduate student to demonstrate their mastery and understanding in a specific field of study. It typically involves conducting research, analyzing data, and presenting findings in a written thesis or dissertation.

How do I choose a topic for my Masters research project?

Choosing a topic for your Masters research project can be a daunting task. Start by identifying your interests and the areas of your field that you are passionate about. You can also consult with your advisor or professors for suggestions and ideas. It is important to choose a topic that is feasible, relevant, and has not been extensively researched before.

What is the timeline for completing a Masters research project?

The timeline for completing a Masters research project varies depending on the program and the specific requirements. Generally, it takes about 1-2 years to complete the research and writing process. It is important to plan and manage your time effectively to meet deadlines and complete your project within the given timeframe.

Do I need to have previous research experience to complete a Masters research project?

While previous research experience can be helpful, it is not a requirement for completing a Masters research project. Your program will provide you with the necessary resources and guidance to conduct your research effectively. However, having basic research skills such as critical thinking, data analysis, and academic writing can be beneficial.

What are some tips for successfully completing a Masters research project?

Here are some tips for successfully completing a Masters research project:

• Start early and plan your time effectively.
  • Stay organized and keep track of your progress.
  • Regularly communicate with your advisor and seek feedback.
  • Read and familiarize yourself with the relevant literature in your field.
  • Take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.
  • Revise and proofread your work before submission.