Powering a Piezoelectric Transducer - Brett

• Thread starter brspurri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transducer
In summary, the conversation revolves around powering a piezoelectric transducer that can operate between 0 and 50 watts using a function generator to generate a sine wave at 40 kHz. The individual is unsure about connecting the transducer and is seeking advice on the type of amplifier needed. There are concerns regarding the potential danger of working with such high frequencies and power, and suggestions are made to consider the application and necessary safety precautions. Additionally, the conversation delves into the potential uses of piezoelectric transducers, including in underwater acoustics and bathroom scales.
brspurri
Hi there,
I am trying to power a piezielectric transducer that can operate between 0 watts and 50 watts (max). I have a function generator to generate a sine wave at 40 kHz.

I am not sure how to go about taking the output of the function generator and connecting the piezoelectric transducer. I think I need an amplifier correct? But what kind? Etc? Any help would be great, I am totally stuck (not an electrical engineer obviously).

Thanks,
Brett

Engineering news on Phys.org
50W at 40kHz? Yikes! What is the application? Is it some sonar thing, or maybe a serious dog repellant machine?

But seriously, that sounds kind of dangerous. You should be careful experimenting with something like that. I'm no expert on medical stuff, but it seems like you could get some pretty serious inner ear damage from being exposed to that level of ultrasonic energy. I wouldn't experiment with it in a lab full of unsuspecting people, for example, and you should probably wear ear protection at the very least.

40kHz is a bit above the traditional audio range, but some audiophiles claim that stereo equipment that can run up into the 40kHz range produce better audio sound than more band-limited equipment. So you might be able to find a high-end audio amp that will work for you at 40kHz. What is the input impedance of the piezo transducer? You will want to match the amp's output impedance to the transducer if you can.

What kind of distortion specs are you looking for in the amplification stage?

I echo the 50W?! Holy schnikies. I must admit the when I see piezoelectric I think accelerometers. It will be interesting to know of the application here. I am thinking along the same lines, possibly underwater acoustics?

FredGarvin said:
I must admit the when I see piezoelectric I think accelerometers. It will be interesting to know of the application here. I am thinking along the same lines, possibly underwater acoustics?
I did my senior design project on building a test apparatus for them for the company that makes the Navy's towed sonar arrays. Unfortunately, I was on the mechanical testing end, so I can't help with the electrical stuff here, but I bet the second most profitable application they had was bathroom scales!

What is a piezoelectric transducer?

A piezoelectric transducer is a type of sensor that converts mechanical energy, such as pressure or vibration, into electrical energy. It works by utilizing the piezoelectric effect, where certain materials produce an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress.

How does a piezoelectric transducer work?

A piezoelectric transducer works by sandwiching a piezoelectric material, such as quartz or ceramic, between two electrodes. When a force is applied to the material, it causes a shift in the material's crystal structure, resulting in a separation of positive and negative charges. This creates an electric field and generates an electrical current.

What are the common applications of piezoelectric transducers?

Piezoelectric transducers have a wide range of applications, including generating sound in speakers and microphones, measuring strain and pressure in industrial equipment, and producing ultrasonic waves for medical imaging and cleaning. They are also used in devices such as accelerometers, igniters, and sensors for touch screens.

How do you power a piezoelectric transducer?

A piezoelectric transducer can be powered by applying an alternating current (AC) or direct current (DC) voltage to the electrodes on either side of the piezoelectric material. The voltage applied will depend on the specific application and desired output of the transducer.

What are some common challenges when powering a piezoelectric transducer?

One common challenge when powering a piezoelectric transducer is dealing with the high voltage and current requirements. This can be addressed by using a suitable power supply and proper circuit design. Additionally, ensuring proper grounding and protection against electrical interference is important for accurate and reliable readings from the transducer.