What is the mean rate of flow through the hole?

In summary, the problem involves a vessel containing liquid mercury with a hole above the liquid level and a larger vessel with a high vacuum. After 30 days, 24mg of mercury is lost and the average speed of the mercury atoms in the vapor is calculated to be 169 m/s. The questions ask for the mean rate of flow of mercury atoms through the hole and the vapor pressure at T=0°C. To find the rate of flow, divide the number of atoms transported by the total time. To find the pressure, use the relationship between flux and the ideal gas law.
mmh37
Hello everyone! I have trouble finding the answer to the following problem - this really bugs me. Can anyone give me a hint?

Here is the problem:

A vessel contains a hole of 0.1mm^2 above the liquid level (contains liquid mercury) at T=0°C. The vessel is contained within a very much larger vessel in which a very high vacuum is maintained. After 30 days it is found that 24mg of mercury have been lost from the inner vessel. The relative atomic mass of mercury is 201.

I have already calculated the average speed of the mercury atoms in the vapor to be

[tex] 169 m/s [/tex]

now the questions:

1) What is the mean rate of flow of mercury atoms through the hole?

2) hence calculate the vapour pressure at T=0°C

note:
the numerical answers are:

1) 2.76 * 10^13 atoms/sec

2) 2.5 * 10^(-2) N/m^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You only need to divide the number of atoms of mercury that have been transported by the total time it took for them to be transported to find the average rate of flow. The number you showed is correct.

To find the number of atoms, divide the gram molecular weight of Hg by the number of grams transported and multiply by Avogadro's number.

Thank you Tide!

That was indeed easier than expected!
However, I can still not calculate the pressure. I was trying to do it with the relationship p=nkT but that does not work. Would you mint giving me another hint?

thanks for this! Using the flux and the ideal gas law one can now find the pressure - the result it gives is correct!

Last edited:

What is the rate of flow through a hole?

The rate of flow through a hole refers to the volume of liquid or gas that passes through a particular hole in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in units such as liters per minute or cubic meters per second.

How is the rate of flow through a hole calculated?

The rate of flow through a hole can be calculated using the equation Q = A x v, where Q is the flow rate, A is the area of the hole, and v is the velocity of the fluid passing through the hole. This equation is known as the continuity equation.

What factors affect the rate of flow through a hole?

The rate of flow through a hole can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the hole, the pressure and velocity of the fluid, and the viscosity of the fluid. Other factors such as temperature, surface roughness, and the presence of obstacles can also impact the flow rate.

How does the shape of a hole affect the rate of flow?

The shape of a hole can have a significant impact on the rate of flow. For example, a larger, wider hole will allow for a higher flow rate compared to a smaller, narrower hole. Additionally, the shape of the hole can affect the velocity and pressure of the fluid passing through it, ultimately influencing the flow rate.

What is the relationship between the pressure and rate of flow through a hole?

The rate of flow through a hole is directly proportional to the pressure difference between the two sides of the hole. This means that as the pressure increases, the flow rate will also increase, and vice versa. However, this relationship can be affected by other factors such as the size and shape of the hole and the properties of the fluid.