Limits to the power of a variable

In summary, to find the limit of [1-(4/x)]^x as x approaches infinity, you can use ln and L'Hopital's rule or simplify the expression to [1+(1/(-x/4))]^x and use the fact that lim(1+1/x)^x = e. Using L'Hopital's rule, you can let y = lim[1-(4/x)]^x and solve for y by taking the natural logarithm and applying L'Hopital's rule again.
Mr. Snookums
I know how to solve a regular question such as x^x, but how would I find:

lim[1-(4/x)]^x
x->inf

My study guide says that I have to use Ln and then L'Hopital's Rule, and I can see how that would work, but what happens to the limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr. Snookums said:
I know how to solve a regular question such as x^x, but how would I find:

lim[1-(4/x)]^x
x->inf

My study guide says that I have to use Ln and then L'Hopital's Rule, and I can see how that would work, but what happens to the limit?
Yes, you can use ln, and then L'Hopital's rule. However, there's a simplier way to do this.
Since:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow + \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{x} \right) ^ x = \lim_{x \rightarrow - \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{x} \right) ^ x = e[/tex]
So ingeneral:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{x} \right) ^ x = e[/tex]
---------------
To solve the problem, you must try to make the expression have the form above. So, we have:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 - \frac{4}{x} \right) ^ x = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 - \frac{1}{\frac{x}{4}} \right) ^ x = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{\frac{- x}{4}} \right) ^ x[/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \left[ \left( 1 + \frac{1}{\frac{- x}{4}} \right) ^ \frac{-x}{4} \right] ^ {-4}[/tex]
Now, can you go from here? :)
---------------
If you want to use L'Hopital's rule, you can let:
[tex]y = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 - \frac{4}{x} \right) ^ x[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \ln y = \ln \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 - \frac{4}{x} \right) ^ x = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \ln \left( 1 - \frac{4}{x} \right) ^ x = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \left[ x \ln \left( 1 - \frac{4}{x} \right) \right] = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \left[ \frac{\ln \left( 1 - \frac{4}{x} \right) }{\frac{1}{x}} \right] = z[/tex]
Now, you can apply L'Hopital's rule here. The RHS is the Indeterminate form 0 / 0.
After applying L'Hopital's Rule, we can obtain y by the fact that y = ez.
Can you go from here? :)

Last edited:

1. What exactly are "limits to the power of a variable"?

Limits to the power of a variable refer to the maximum and minimum values that a variable can take within a given context or system. These limits can be defined by physical constraints, mathematical principles, or other factors.

2. How do limits to the power of a variable affect scientific research?

Limits to the power of a variable play a critical role in scientific research as they help to establish boundaries and constraints for experiments and observations. They also help to determine the range of validity for scientific theories and models.

3. Can limits to the power of a variable change over time?

Yes, limits to the power of a variable can change over time as new technology, knowledge, and understanding are developed. Additionally, external factors such as climate change can also impact the limits of a variable.

4. How are limits to the power of a variable determined?

Limits to the power of a variable can be determined through a combination of theoretical calculations, experimental data, and statistical analysis. These methods help to establish the range of possible values for a variable and identify any potential limitations.

5. Why is it important to consider limits to the power of a variable in scientific research?

Considering limits to the power of a variable is crucial in scientific research as it ensures that results and conclusions are accurate and reliable. It also helps to prevent potential errors and biases that may arise from disregarding the limitations of a variable.