Proving N!/(N-n)! = N^n with Stirling's Approximation | Stat Mech HW

• Thread starter leright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stat mech
In summary, the conversation discusses using Stirling's approximation to show that N!/(N-n)! is not equal to N^n. After some calculations, it is determined that in order to get the correct result, N-n should not be approximated to be equal to N. The correct calculation involves subtracting the exponents when dividing.
leright
I am supposed to show that N!/(N-n)! = N^n where 1<<n<<N

I used stirling's approximation to show that N! = e^(NlnN-N) and (N-n)! = e^[(N-n)ln(N-n) - N + n].

I took the ratio of these two terms to get e^[NlnN-N-(N-n)ln(N-n) + N - n]. I canceled terms and get N!/(N-n)! = N^N/[(N-n)^(N-n)e^n], which isn't N^n.

btw, stirlings says that lnN! = NlnN - N.

Can someone give me a hint? That would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
what you did with teh stirling's approximation is correct

[tex] \frac{\exp(N\ln(N) - N)}{\exp((N-n)\ln(N) - N + n)} [/tex]

so when you divide what do you do with exponents??

o and don't forget N >> n in the end

:wink:

stunner5000pt said:
what you did with teh stirling's approximation is correct

[tex] \frac{\exp(N\ln(N) - N)}{\exp((N-n)\ln(N) - N + n)} [/tex]

so when you divide what do you do with exponents??

o and don't forget N >> n in the end

:wink:

right, I got that far, and ended up with e^(NlnN-(N-n)ln(N-n)-n) = N^N/[(N-n)^(N-n)e^n].

If I say that N-n is about equal to N I get e^(-n), which is obviously wrong.

leright said:
right, I got that far, and ended up with e^(NlnN-(N-n)ln(N-n)-n) = N^N/[(N-n)^(N-n)e^n].

If I say that N-n is about equal to N I get e^(-n), which is obviously wrong.

when you divide you subtract the exponents right?

[tex] \frac{\exp(N\ln(N) - N)}{\exp((N-n)\ln(N) - N + n)} = \exp\left(N\ln(N) - N)-((N-n)\ln(N) - N + n)\right) = \exp(N\ln(N) - N - (N-n)\ln(N) + N - n) [/tex]

right?

add subtract what you can...

stunner5000pt said:
when you divide you subtract the exponents right?

[tex] \frac{\exp(N\ln(N) - N)}{\exp((N-n)\ln(N) - N + n)} = \exp\left(N\ln(N) - N)-((N-n)\ln(N) - N + n)\right) = \exp(N\ln(N) - N - (N-n)\ln(N) + N - n) [/tex]

right?

add subtract what you can...

um, of course...that's what I just showed you, except I already canceled the Ns.

got it. thanks.

1. What is Stirling's approximation and how is it used to prove N!/(N-n)! = N^n?

Stirling's approximation is a mathematical formula used to approximate the factorial function. It states that for large values of N, N! can be approximated by √(2πN) * (N/e)^N. This approximation is used in the proof of N!/(N-n)! = N^n by substituting it into the expression and simplifying.

2. Why is it important to prove N!/(N-n)! = N^n?

This proof is important in statistical mechanics as it helps us understand the behavior of large systems and calculate their properties. It is also used in combinatorics and probability theory.

3. Can Stirling's approximation be used for any value of N?

No, Stirling's approximation is only accurate for large values of N. The larger the value of N, the more accurate the approximation becomes. For smaller values of N, other methods such as Taylor series expansions are used.

4. Are there any limitations to using Stirling's approximation in this proof?

Yes, there are limitations to using Stirling's approximation in this proof. It assumes that N and n are both large values and that the difference between them is also large. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of rounding and truncation errors.

5. How does proving N!/(N-n)! = N^n with Stirling's approximation relate to statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, we often deal with large systems and need to calculate their properties, such as the number of possible microstates. This proof shows us how we can use Stirling's approximation to simplify calculations involving factorials, making it a useful tool in statistical mechanics.