Calculate Perigee Apogee Ratio for Satellite in Earth's Orbit

• Thread starter brunie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, Kepler's laws of motion state that equal orbital areas are swept in equal time and that the ratio of the speed at perigee to that at apogee can be found by equating the velocity equations for both cases. To account for the varying gravitational force, the equation v^2/r=g must be used. The ratio is then equal to the square root of the ratio of the distances above the Earth's surface. The eccentricity of the orbit may also need to be taken into consideration.
brunie
A satellite, placed into the Earth's orbit to investigate the ionosphere, had the following orbit parameters: perigee, 475 km; apogee, 2265 km (both distances above the Earth's surface); period, 112.7 min. Find the ratio vp/va of the speed at perigee to that at apogee.

I was told by someone that this ratio is equal to the inverse ratio of the distances. But the period is thrown in so I have no idea where to start on this one. I know this follows an elliptical shape but I still can't think of where to begin.

Can anyone give a first couple of steps to get me started?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Google Keplers laws of motion. He found that equal orbital areas are swept in equal time, and developed the math to explain it. Which still hols up well, unless looking at Mercury, but that's a later chapter.

ive done reasearch and i have notes but i can't seem to apply it properly, only post please if u can give me a concrete path to take or equation to use

Ok, if the research didn't help, try the following, assume that in both cases, that the orbit is circular where v^2/r=g. What results do you get for v in both cases?

denverdoc said:
Ok, if the research didn't help, try the following, assume that in both cases, that the orbit is circular where v^2/r=g. What results do you get for v in both cases?

v = sqrt(gr)

but then the ratio would be equal to sqrt(r1)/sqrt(r2) since g cancels,
is this right?

Post some numbers.

Vp/Va = sqrt(2265)/sqrt(475)
= 2.184

but sum1 told me before that
Vp/Va = 2265/475 (inverse ratio)

but i don't kno why the period is not a factor

because g is not constant. You need to correct for that first.

denverdoc said:
because g is not constant. You need to correct for that first.

o you oops i forgot

i kno ur not supposed to give ppl direct answers on this, but I am super frustrated with this question so could sumbody please give me a big boost,
like just explain wut need to be equated together because all the hints make me more confused and with planetary motion there are too many equations and its rough enough trying to simplify them
i don't mind working hard for this question but i just need a good foundation to work with

Perhaps someone else can help its a 3/2 power ratio, look into this link:
http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/orbit.htm

ok I've seen the equations for kepplers laws, i just don't know where to get the velocity out of it
i know there is the equation with the squared equal to the cubed
but i have no clue where to get the velocity into the picture,
also do i need to find the eccentricity first

sum1 please tell me the first few steps to follow in roder to solve this

1. What is the purpose of calculating the Perigee Apogee Ratio for a satellite in Earth's orbit?

The Perigee Apogee Ratio, also known as the eccentricity, is used to describe the shape of a satellite's orbit around the Earth. It is an important parameter in determining the satellite's trajectory and its position in relation to the Earth at any given time.

2. How is the Perigee Apogee Ratio calculated?

The Perigee Apogee Ratio is calculated by dividing the difference between the apogee (the furthest point from Earth) and the perigee (the closest point to Earth) by the sum of the apogee and perigee. This value is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage, with a perfectly circular orbit having an eccentricity of 0%.

3. What is the significance of a high or low Perigee Apogee Ratio?

A high Perigee Apogee Ratio indicates a more elliptical orbit, with a larger difference between the apogee and perigee. This can result in a satellite having a longer orbital period and potentially a wider coverage area. A low Perigee Apogee Ratio, on the other hand, indicates a more circular orbit with a smaller difference between the apogee and perigee.

4. How does the Perigee Apogee Ratio affect a satellite's performance?

The Perigee Apogee Ratio can affect a satellite's performance in various ways. For example, a higher ratio can result in the satellite experiencing more extreme temperature changes as it moves closer to and further from the Earth. It can also impact the satellite's ability to maintain a stable orbit and may require more frequent adjustments to keep it in place.

5. Can the Perigee Apogee Ratio change over time?

Yes, the Perigee Apogee Ratio can change over time due to various factors such as atmospheric drag, gravitational pull from other celestial bodies, and the use of thrusters to adjust the satellite's orbit. However, these changes are usually small and can be managed through regular monitoring and adjustments by ground control.