Solve Absolute Value Inequalities

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
In summary, to solve the inequality |2x + 1| ≥ |x - 3|, you can first find the points where |2x + 1| = |x + 3| by getting rid of the absolute values and solving the associated equation. Another method is to consider the sign of the quantity inside the absolute value. After solving, you can check a "test" value in each interval between solutions to determine if the inequality is true or false. In this case, the solutions are x = 2/3 and x = -4, and after checking with a "test" value of 0, we can conclude that the inequality is true for x < -4 and x > 2/3
danago
Gold Member
[tex]
\left| {2x + 1} \right| \ge \left| {x - 3} \right|
[/tex]

Now, i must solve for x. I could easily do it by graphing it on my calculator, and get an answer of [tex]x \le - 4,x \ge \frac{2}{3}[/tex].

How can i do it algebraically?

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could start by finding the points where |2x+1| = |x+3|

You can get rid of the absolute values by squaring each side.

Agreed. The best way to solve most inequalities is to solve the associated equation first. For continuous functions such as absolute value, the places where they are equal are the only places where the inequality can change so you need check only one point in each interval between solutions of the inequality to see whether the inequality is true or false there.

Another way of solving an absolute value equation is to consider whether the quantity inside is positive or negative. If 2x+1 and x+3 are both negative or both positive then 2x+1= x+ 3. If they are of different sign then 2x+ 1= -(x_ 3). After solving check to make sure the signs are right for that point.

ok solving the equation, i get x=2/3, x=-4. So would i pick any 'test' value in between these points, and find weather the inequality is true or false?

Using zero, the inequality is false. So that would mean that x is outside of the solutions, less than -4, but greater than 2/3? Is that the reasoning i should be using to attack these problems?

1. What is the first step in solving |2x+1| <= |x-3| for x?

The first step is to isolate the absolute value expressions on either side of the inequality by using the properties of absolute value.

2. How do I handle the inequality when the absolute value contains a variable?

When the absolute value contains a variable, you can consider two cases - when the variable is positive and when it is negative. This will help you to eliminate the absolute value and solve the inequality.

3. Is there a specific method to solve absolute value inequalities?

Yes, there is a specific method to solve absolute value inequalities. You can use the properties of absolute value, consider two cases, and then solve the resulting equations to find the solutions.

4. Can I check my solution for |2x+1| <= |x-3| for x?

Yes, you can always check your solution by substituting it back into the original inequality and simplifying. If the resulting statement is true, then your solution is correct.

5. Are there any restrictions on the variable x in |2x+1| <= |x-3| for x?

Yes, there may be restrictions on the variable x depending on the context of the problem. For example, if x represents the length of a side in a geometric figure, it cannot be negative. Always check for any restrictions when solving inequalities.