Calculate the instantaneous velocity

In summary: The instantaneous velocity at the beginning and end of the interval must be different because the wrench has been accelerating throughout the interval.
heartofaragorn

Homework Statement

A workman drops a wrench over the side of a high-rise building. Someone looking out their window sees the wrench appear at 11:00 a.m. Another person in an office 25.0 m below the first observer sees the wrench appear exactly 1.00 second after 11:00 AM.

Calculate the instantaneous velocity of the wrench when it passes the second observer, calculate the total distance the wrench has fallen from the point when it passes the second observer, and calculate the time when the wrench was dropped.

Homework Equations

Instantaneous velocity = change in velocity / change in time
v = v initial + accleration X time
x - x initial = v initial X t + 1/2 acceleration X time squared

The Attempt at a Solution

It seemed to me that the instantaneous velocity would be 25 m/s squared, but since that answer is too simple, I'm pretty sure it's wrong. I looked through the kinematic formulas but couldn't find one that I had enough information for. For instance, how do I calculate this using only on measurement (the 1.00 second it took to go 25 m?). Please help! :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
heartofaragorn said:

Check this statement.
What are the units of velocity?

heartofaragorn said:

Homework Statement

A workman drops a wrench over the side of a high-rise building. Someone looking out their window sees the wrench appear at 11:00 a.m. Another person in an office 25.0 m below the first observer sees the wrench appear exactly 1.00 second after 11:00 AM.

Calculate the instantaneous velocity of the wrench when it passes the second observer, calculate the total distance the wrench has fallen from the point when it passes the second observer, and calculate the time when the wrench was dropped.
You know the acceleration, right? You know the distance traveled and the time interval. You can find both the initial velocity (when it passes the first window) and the final velocity. See below

Homework Equations

This is incorrect. This equation gives the average acceleration, not the instantaneous velocity
v = v initial + accleration X time
x - x initial = v initial X t + 1/2 acceleration X time squared
That's it. Use the second equation to find the initial velocity. Then use the first equation to find the final velocity.
(here, the initial point corresponds to the wrench passing the first window and the final point is when the wrench passes the second window.

Once you have that information, use again the equations but now the initial point being when the wrench is dropped (with an initial velocity of zero) and the final point being when it passes the first window (say). Then the unknowns will be the time and the distance, which you can solve for using the same two equations

heartofaragorn said:
It seemed to me that the instantaneous velocity would be 25 m/s squared, but since that answer is too simple, I'm pretty sure it's wrong.
The average velocity would be 25 m/s (not squared!) during that 1 second interval. But that's not the instantaneous velocity.

How must the instantaneous velocities at the beginning and end of that interval differ? Hint: What's the acceleration?

Okay, thank you for the help, everyone! That definitely helped me out, so much so, that I'm about to post another problem! :rolleyes:

You give the formula to find the average velocity.
[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{s(a+h)+s(a)}{h}[/tex] where t=a is instantaneous velocity^^

Last edited:

What is the formula for calculating instantaneous velocity?

The formula for calculating instantaneous velocity is v = (x2 - x1) / (t2 - t1), where v is the instantaneous velocity, x2 and x1 are the final and initial positions, respectively, and t2 and t1 are the final and initial times, respectively.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is calculated at a specific moment in time by taking the derivative of the position-time function.

How can I find the instantaneous velocity on a position-time graph?

To find the instantaneous velocity on a position-time graph, you can draw a tangent line at a specific point on the curve and calculate its slope. The slope of the tangent line represents the instantaneous velocity at that point.

Can instantaneous velocity be negative?

Yes, instantaneous velocity can be negative. Negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the coordinate system.

What is the unit of measurement for instantaneous velocity?

The unit of measurement for instantaneous velocity is meters per second (m/s), as it represents the change in position over time.