The Irony of the Higgs Mechanism: Giving Mass to the Massless?

In summary, there are two separate concepts when discussing the Higgs mechanism: the Higgs field and the Higgs particle. The Higgs mechanism uses the Higgs field to couple to bosons and give them mass, but the Higgs particle also has its own mass. Additionally, in the cited arxiv paper, the author uses the concept of first order to obtain equation 1.33.
touqra
Forgive if I'm being sarcastic, but I just read on the Higgs mechanism, giving mass to the fermions and bosons. But at the same time, Higgs itself has mass? Isn't that abit irony?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two separate concepts:: Higgs field (the mechanism) and Higgs particle.

arivero said:
There are two separate concepts:: Higgs field (the mechanism) and Higgs particle.

I meant the Higgs mechanism itself used the Higgs field to couple to the bosons to give them their masses, via a Higgs vev. But at this point, I guess I should have read the arxiv paper more properly. Now I notice that had if the Higgs vev = 0, so too will the Higgs mass. I think I can say that, not only does the Higgs mechanism gives mass to the fermions and bosons, but also to the Higgs particle itself ?
Also, in the same arxiv paper: http://www.arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0503172
what is first order and how did the author use it to obtain equation 1.33 ?

1. What is the Higgs Mechanism?

The Higgs Mechanism is a theory in particle physics that explains how particles acquire mass. It proposes the existence of a field called the Higgs field, which permeates all of space, and particles interact with this field to gain mass.

2. Why is mass important in physics?

Mass is a fundamental property of matter and is essential for understanding the behavior and interactions of particles. It plays a crucial role in the laws of motion, energy, and gravity.

3. What is the significance of the Higgs Mechanism?

The Higgs Mechanism is significant because it provides a theoretical explanation for the origin of mass in the universe. It also helps to unify the theories of electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force.

4. How does the Higgs Mechanism work?

The Higgs Mechanism works by proposing the existence of a Higgs field that extends throughout the universe. When particles interact with this field, they experience a resistance, which gives them mass. The more they interact with the field, the more massive they become.

5. What is the role of the Higgs Boson in the Higgs Mechanism?

The Higgs Boson is an elementary particle that is associated with the Higgs field. Its discovery in 2012 provided evidence for the existence of the Higgs field and confirmed the predictions of the Higgs Mechanism. It is also responsible for giving mass to other particles through its interactions with the Higgs field.