Differential equation I can't solve

In summary, the conversation discusses a self-invented physical problem and the resulting differential equation. The equation does not have an exact or familiar series solution, so numerical methods are recommended. The conversation also mentions a boundary condition and provides approximate solutions using Taylor series for small and large values of t. These solutions are valid for k=1 and can be modified for general k.
Irid
Hi,
I was solving my own-invented physical problem, and obtained a differential equation
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = k \sqrt{t-x^2}[/tex]
with k positive constant. I wish to solve it. I'm unable perform separation of variables here, and power-series method works poorly, too. I conclude that this equation does not have any closed-form or familiar series solution, so the best thing that I could do is use numerical methods [of an Excel type, but Gnumeric is my choice :)]. It turned out that with k=1, when t=1, x=0,6, exacty. This gives a clue that there might exist some sort of a solution (or it might not be any kind of a clue, I'm just being silly). How do I find it? How do I solve this equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no exact solution. I'm assuming you're using a boundary condition of x=0 at t=0. Then, Mathematica's numerical routine NDSolve gives x=0.60635 at t=1.

You can solve it approximately by Taylor series for small t and large t. At small t,
[tex] x = {{\textstyle{2\over3}}t^{3/2}\left(1-{\textstyle{2\over21}}t^2
+{\textstyle{10\over2079}}t^4 + \ldots\right) [/tex]
At large t,
[tex] x = t^{1/2}\left(1-{\textstyle{1\over8}}t^{-2}
-{\textstyle{13\over128}}t^{-4} + \ldots\right) [/tex]
These cross at t=2.354, where they differ from the numerical solution by a worst-case 1%.

This is for k=1. But if [tex]x=f(t)[/tex] solves the equation for k=1, then [tex]x=k^{-1/2}f(kt)[/tex] solves it for general k.

Last edited:

1. Why are differential equations difficult to solve?

Differential equations involve derivatives, which are rates of change. This makes them inherently more complex than regular algebraic equations, which only involve variables and constants. Additionally, differential equations often have no exact solution and require numerical methods to approximate a solution.

2. How do I know which method to use to solve a differential equation?

The method used to solve a differential equation depends on its type. There are several types of differential equations, including separable, linear, and exact. It is important to identify the type of differential equation and then use the appropriate method to solve it. This can be done by looking at the form of the equation and manipulating it into a standard form for the chosen method.

3. What if I can't find an exact solution to a differential equation?

If an exact solution cannot be found, numerical methods can be used to approximate a solution. These methods involve breaking the differential equation into smaller, simpler equations that can be solved using basic algebraic techniques. These smaller solutions can then be combined to find an approximate solution to the original equation.

4. Can I use a computer to solve differential equations?

Yes, there are many software programs and online calculators that can solve differential equations for you. These programs use numerical methods to approximate a solution. However, it is still important to understand the methods and concepts behind solving differential equations in order to properly interpret and use the results.

5. How can I check if my solution to a differential equation is correct?

If using a computer to solve a differential equation, the program will usually provide an error estimate for the solution. If solving by hand, you can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and ensuring that it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can compare your solution to a known solution or use a graphing calculator to graph the original equation and your solution to visually check for accuracy.