Hydrogen ground state/excited states due to temperature problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in a low level astrophysics class regarding the temperature at which equal numbers of atoms in a gas of neutral hydrogen will have electrons in different energy states. The person is unsure of which equations to use, but suggests using the Boltzmann distribution and the Balmer formula to get the energies. The statistical weights can be obtained from the number of orbitals available at each energy level, and the energy levels can be determined using the Bohr model. The conversation also mentions that this problem may be more complex than the Bohr atom and that the Saha equation and partition function concept may be relevant.
emtilt
I apologize if this is the incorrect forum for this problem; I was unsure which would be most suitable because the problem is from a low level astrophysics class but is not precisely or exclusively astrophysics.

Homework Statement

For a gas of neutral hydrogen atoms, at what temperature will equal numbers of atoms have electrons in the:
A) ground state (n=1) and in the first excited state (n=2)?
B) ground state and second excited state (n=3)?

(I'm assuming that this problem is dealing with the Bohr atom, not something more complex.)

Homework Equations

Perhaps the Boltzman distribution ([tex]\frac{n_j}{n_i}=\frac{g_j}{g_i}e^{\frac{-(E_j-E_i)}{kT}}[/tex]) with the Balmer formula to get the enrgies? But then where do I get the statistical weights?

I really do not know how to do this problem, or what equations to use to relate the temperature to the electron states. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
emtilt said:

Homework Statement

For a gas of neutral hydrogen atoms, at what temperature will equal numbers of atoms have electrons in the:
A) ground state (n=1) and in the first excited state (n=2)?
B) ground state and second excited state (n=3)?

(I'm assuming that this problem is dealing with the Bohr atom, not something more complex.)

IIRC, it will be a little more complex than the Bohr atom, but you may able to deal with this from something you learned in chemistry...

Homework Equations

Perhaps the Boltzman distribution ([tex]\frac{n_j}{n_i}=\frac{g_j}{g_i}e^{\frac{-(E_j-E_i)}{kT}}[/tex]) with the Balmer formula to get the enrgies? But then where do I get the statistical weights?

I believe this gets called the Saha equation in astrophysics, but it basically comes from the partition function concept in statistical mechanics.

I should check this to be sure, but we are dealing with hydrogen, so there is only one electron per atom. Recall what you learned of atomic orbitals in chemistry. In the "ground state" (n=1 -- the 1s-shell), how many "slots" are there for an electron? How many "slots" are there at n=2 altogether (what orbitals are available)? And what of n=3? Those will be your statistical weights g_sub-i at each energy level. (It's not quite so simple for other atoms...)

As for the energies E_sub-i, what are the energy levels of the orbitals according to the Bohr model? (Those work OK in solving this problem for hydrogen...)

I'm doing the exact same question as you, except only the second part, we have the first part for n=1 and n=2 as an example. Basically, using the formula you gave, and also the formulas gn=2n^2, and En= -13.6/n^2, you can figure out the temperature since Nj=Ni. At least that's how we were taught to do it.

What is the hydrogen ground state/excited state problem due to temperature?

The hydrogen ground state/excited state problem due to temperature refers to the phenomenon observed in hydrogen atoms where their electrons absorb energy from the surrounding environment and transition to higher energy levels, resulting in a higher energy state or an excited state. This is in contrast to the ground state, where the electron is in its lowest energy level.

Why is the hydrogen ground state important in understanding the behavior of atoms?

The hydrogen ground state is important because it serves as the baseline for understanding the energy levels and transitions of electrons in atoms. By understanding the ground state, scientists can better understand the behavior of electrons and how they interact with the surrounding environment.

How does temperature affect the hydrogen ground state/excited state problem?

Temperature plays a crucial role in the hydrogen ground state/excited state problem. As the temperature increases, the surrounding environment provides more energy to the hydrogen atoms, causing the electrons to transition to higher energy levels and creating more excited states. This results in a shift in the balance between the ground state and excited states, making it difficult to accurately predict the behavior of the atoms.

What are some potential solutions to the hydrogen ground state/excited state problem?

Scientists have proposed several solutions to the hydrogen ground state/excited state problem, including using advanced mathematical models and experimental techniques to better understand the behavior of electrons at different temperatures. Additionally, some researchers are exploring the use of special materials and techniques to stabilize the hydrogen atoms at specific energy levels.

What are the practical applications of studying the hydrogen ground state/excited state problem?

Studying the hydrogen ground state/excited state problem has many practical applications, including in the fields of astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and materials science. By understanding how temperature affects the energy levels of hydrogen atoms, scientists can gain insights into the behavior of other atoms and materials at different temperatures, which can lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.