Directional derivative formula

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the directional derivative of f(x,y) at point P(1,2) in different directions and using the formula ∂f/∂x i+∂f/∂y j to solve for the derivatives. However, there is a mistake in the calculation of f_x, and the correct answer is found by dividing the dot product of the gradient and the unit vector in the direction of -i-2j by the length of -i-2j. This highlights the importance of dividing by the length when finding the directional derivative.
mit_hacker

Homework Statement

(Q) The derivative of f(x,y) at Po(1,2) in the direction i + j is 2sqrt(2) and in the direction of -2j is -3. What is the derivative of f in the direction of -i - 2j? Give reasons for your answers.

Homework Equations

The directional derivative is given by the formula:

∂f/∂x i+∂f/∂y j

The Attempt at a Solution

You get simultaneous equations when you apply the above equation and you find that

∂f/∂y = 3/2.
And ∂f/∂x = [4sqrt(2) - 3] / 2.

Then applying the dot product of this and -i - 2j, you get [-3-4sqrt(2)] / 2 but the answer is supposed to be -7/sqrt(5). How did they get that??:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
mit_hacker said:

Homework Statement

(Q) The derivative of f(x,y) at Po(1,2) in the direction i + j is 2sqrt(2) and in the direction of -2j is -3. What is the derivative of f in the direction of -i - 2j? Give reasons for your answers.

Homework Equations

The directional derivative is given by the formula:

∂f/∂x i+∂f/∂y j

The Attempt at a Solution

You get simultaneous equations when you apply the above equation and you find that

∂f/∂y = 3/2.
Yes, that's true.

And ∂f/∂x = [4sqrt(2) - 3] / 2.
No, that's not true. "The derivative of f(x,y) at Po(1,2) in the direction i + j is 2sqrt(2)" tells you that [itex]f_x/\sqrt{2}+ f_y/\sqrt{2}= 2\sqrt{2}[/itex] (dividing by the length of i+ j) or that [itex]f_x+ f_y=4[/itex]. Since [itex]f_y= 3/2[/itex], that gives [itex]f_x= 5/2[/itex]

Then applying the dot product of this and -i - 2j, you get [-3-4sqrt(2)] / 2 but the answer is supposed to be -7/sqrt(5). How did they get that??:confused:
No, take the dot product of [itex](5/2)i+ (3/2)j[/itex] with the unit vector in the direction of -i- 2j.

Remember that the derivative in the direction of vector v is [itex]\nabla f \cdot v/||v||[/itex].

You keep forgetting to divide by the length of v.

Eye opener!

Thank-you very much for explicitly exposing my weakness! I really mean it. Now, I'll never forget to divide by the length! :smile:

1. What is the directional derivative formula?

The directional derivative formula is a mathematical expression used to calculate the rate of change of a function in a particular direction. It takes into account both the slope of the function at a given point and the direction of the change.

2. How is the directional derivative formula calculated?

The directional derivative formula is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient vector of the function with the unit vector in the desired direction. This results in a scalar value representing the rate of change in that direction.

3. What is the significance of the directional derivative formula?

The directional derivative formula is significant because it allows us to determine the direction in which a function is changing the most rapidly at a given point. This information is useful for optimization and understanding the behavior of a function.

4. What are the applications of the directional derivative formula?

The directional derivative formula has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to optimize processes, understand the behavior of systems, and make predictions based on rates of change.

5. Are there any limitations to the directional derivative formula?

Yes, there are limitations to the directional derivative formula. It can only be applied to functions that are differentiable at the point of interest. It also assumes that the function is continuous in all directions, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.