What is the moment of inertia and bearing friction of a rotating turbine?

In summary: Basically, I know the torque is 260Nm I know the acceleration is 0.35 rads/s^2 I know the deceleration is 0.16 rads/s^2 I need to find the moment of inertia in kgm^2And I need to find the bearing friction in NmPlease help, my head is about to explode!Did you try just using this formula? \tau=I\alphawhere \tau is torque and \alpha is angular acceleration.
confused2006
Moment of inertia problem...please help !

Hi,
I have been sat in front of this computer all day trying to work this problem out.

A turbine rota accelerates to 60rpm from rest in 9 revs then the force is removed and it continues to rotate for a further 20 revolutions.

Basically I know the torque is 260Nm
I know the acceleration is 0.35 rads/s^2
I know the deceleration is 0.16 rads/s^2

I need to find the moment of inertia in kgm^2

And i need to find the bearing friction in Nm

Please help, think my head is going to explode

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try just use this formula

[tex]\tau=I\alpha[/tex]

where [tex]\tau[/tex] is torque and [tex]\alpha[/tex] is angular acceleration.

What i didnt explain is I know the answer is 509.8Kgm^2 and I can't get anywere near it with any equation

I don't know,but I also cannot get the answer.

Here's the my solution.

[tex]\tau_f=I\frac{d\omega}{dt}=I\frac{d\omega}{dt}\frac{d\theta}{d\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{20\times 2\pi}d\theta\tau_f=I\int_{0}^{1 rad/s}\omega d\omega[/tex]

[tex]40\pi \tau_f=I\frac{\omega^2}{2}[/tex]

when we have [tex]\tau_0=260 Nm[/tex]

[tex]\tau_0-\tau_f=I\frac{d\omega}{dt}\frac{d\theta}{d\theta}[/tex]

[tex]d\theta(\tau_0-\tau_f)=I\omega d\omega[/tex]

[tex]9\times 2\pi\left(\tau_0-\frac{\omega^2}{80\pi}\right)=I\frac{\omega^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex]I=\frac{18\pi\tau_0}{\frac{\omega^2}{2}+\frac{9\omega^2}{40}}[/tex]

ermm at a glance
torque=I*alpha + friction*omega

if it max's out at 60rpm (2pi rads/s) then alpha is 0
so 260nm=friction* 2pi

friction= 260/2pi nm/rad/s ? roughly 40nm/rad/s ??
dunno if that's any help?

also when you say that

Basically I know the torque is 260Nm
I know the acceleration is 0.35 rads/s^2
I know the deceleration is 0.16 rads/s^2

i'm pretty sure that the acc/deelertaion is NOT constant if you have friction which is usually proportional to velocity

also, i don't know how to do that fancy maths typing!
but

using o for theta
w for omega

T=I*Alpha +D*w

T=I*(d2o/dt2)+D(do/dt)

in laplace(if you know it?)

T=Ios^2 + Dos

lol i should really have put this allin one post, i'll look at it again if I've time later!

also its
i have been sitting,
and a turbine rotar

Last edited:

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is calculated based on the mass and distribution of an object's mass around an axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia and mass are two different physical quantities. While mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in linear motion, moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion.

3. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by using the formula I = mr², where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object's center of mass. For more complex objects, the moment of inertia can be calculated by breaking the object into smaller parts and using the parallel axis theorem.

4. What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its mass, distribution of mass, and the axis of rotation. Objects with a greater mass and mass that is farther from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia. The shape of an object also plays a role in determining its moment of inertia.

5. Why is moment of inertia important in physics?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand and analyze the rotational motion of objects. It is used in many areas of physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Understanding moment of inertia is crucial for engineers and scientists when designing and building machines and structures that involve rotational motion.