Hall Probe Voltage Calculation for Conduction Electrons in a Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses problem #2 from a physics assignment. The person attempted to solve the problem using the equation I = V/R for the x-direction flow, and then used the equation I = Lambda * v from Griffiths' book to find the velocity of the charge. However, after discussing their approach with their friend and professor, they realized they had made an error in calculating the velocity due to a misunderstanding of the term "resistivity". They are now trying to find another way to determine the velocity.
Poop-Loops

Homework Statement

Here's the question:

http://www.phys.washington.edu/users/schick/322A/322-08ps1.pdf

It's problem #2

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so I got together with a friend and we did the following:

I = V/R. For the x-direction flow, we know V and R, so we got some I.

From there, the book (Griffiths) has an equation I = Lambda * v, where lambda is a line charge density and v is the velocity of the charge. So for Lambda we took the number of conduction electrons multiplied by the width and thickness to get a line charge density. From that and the current we figured out a velocity of the charge: ~60000m/s. Ouch. Not cool. But we kept chugging. We took the equation for Force which = 0, and equated the electric field and v x B. The q's canceled out. We have B. So we found the electric field, then "integrated" it at the two end points of the width to get a voltage. 11.7V...

Come up to the professor, he says we're off by a factor of 1000 or so. We calculated the velocity incorrectly. Not that we made some error, but he looked at what we did and got confused. He just said the book's equation doesn't apply here. So now I am trying to figure out some other way to find the velocity. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I found out my mistake. I thought "resistivity" was "resistance", so I thought it was 1.6ohms per centimeter, not 1.6 ohm-centimeters. Never heard of that term before, not in the book (where we are at, at least), either. =/

But yeah, this is solved.

1. How is the Hall voltage calculated for conduction electrons in a magnetic field?

The Hall voltage is calculated using the formula V_H = B * I * d / n * e, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, d is the thickness of the material, n is the number of conduction electrons per unit volume, and e is the charge of an electron.

2. What is the Hall effect and why is it important in the study of magnetism?

The Hall effect is the production of a voltage difference across a conductor when a magnetic field is applied perpendicular to the direction of current flow. It is important in the study of magnetism because it allows for the measurement of magnetic fields and can provide valuable information about the properties of materials.

3. Can the Hall voltage be used to determine the type of charge carriers in a material?

Yes, the Hall voltage can be used to determine the type of charge carriers in a material. If the Hall voltage is positive, it indicates that the majority of charge carriers are positive (holes), and if the Hall voltage is negative, it indicates that the majority of charge carriers are negative (electrons).

4. How does the Hall voltage change with the strength of the magnetic field?

The Hall voltage is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the magnetic field increases, the Hall voltage also increases. However, there is a limit to this relationship, as the Hall voltage will eventually reach saturation at higher magnetic field strengths.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the Hall voltage in a material?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the Hall voltage in a material. These include the type and concentration of charge carriers, the temperature of the material, and the geometry and dimensions of the material. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects in the material can also impact the Hall voltage.