Full Time School, TA'ing, Co-op?

In summary, the speaker is a 3rd year EE student taking a regular courseload of 20 credits, including TA'ing a sophomore level class. They are considering a part-time co-op at Lockheed Martin Space Systems, but are concerned about balancing it with their other commitments, such as going to the gym. They are also unsure if they should drop the TA position to focus on the co-op and gain more experience. The speaker mentions that they do not get paid for TA'ing, but would get paid for the co-op, and believes the co-op would be a more valuable experience. There is a discussion about the payment for co-ops, with the speaker expressing surprise that they do not get paid for TA'ing
user101
I'm a 3rd year EE. I'll be taking the regular courseload for an EE (Control Theory and Systems, Applied Emag, Digital Communications, Junior Lab, and a 1-credit course). I'll also be TA'ing a sophomore level Digital Logic Design class. This comes to about 20 credits.

There's an opening at a Lockheed Martin Space Systems company here, for a software co-op. It says approx 20 hours a work per week.

Is this manageable? Has anyone done something like this?

I'm also concerned because I go to the gym at least 4-5x a week, so that's 6 hours lost per week for personal fitness. I need to go to the gym to keep sane throughout the semester, so dropping this activity is not a choice :(

Should I not TA and try for the Co-op? I've already registered for the TA'ing spot, got the instructor approval.

I'm just trying to be a more ideal candidate for my job and gain as much experience. I've already had one internship and already have one secured at another company this upcoming summer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the TA help pay for your tuition? Actual industrial experience would appeal more than the TA position. The more experience, the better.

Nah, it doesn't. It's for credits. I'm a little concerned with the time issue of both. TA'ing won't be that bad, considering that if no one comes to office hours, I can just work on my own homework. If they do, no problem. But with the co-op, that may take 20-25 hrs a week. Seems like a lot. I think I might not do the Co-op.

I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to take a 20 hour per week "job" onboard as well as undertaking the third year of a full time degree. I'm surprised you don't get paid for the TA work, though.

Yeah :/ They pay the MS and PhD students for TA'ing, and the UG students with credits... wish we got some money, too.

You don't get paid as a co-op ? why not? I got paid quite nicely for 8 month co-op, a part time co-op should be the same. Lockeed isn't a small company either.

In the end the co-op will be greater experience, it will be more work though. But it will stand out a ton on your resume.

mr_coffee said:
You don't get paid as a co-op ? why not? I got paid quite nicely for 8 month co-op, a part time co-op should be the same. Lockeed isn't a small company either.

In the end the co-op will be greater experience, it will be more work though. But it will stand out a ton on your resume.

I would get paid for the co-op. I do not get paid for the TA. The co-op is a school + work thing, not a full-time job type co-op.

1. What is the difference between full-time school, TA'ing, and co-op?

Full-time school refers to a traditional academic schedule where a student is enrolled in a set number of courses each semester. TA'ing, or teaching assistantship, is a role typically held by graduate students where they assist professors in teaching and grading undergraduate courses. Co-op, short for cooperative education, is a program where students alternate between periods of full-time work and full-time school in their field of study.

2. How does being a TA impact my academic workload?

Being a TA can vary in workload depending on the specific duties assigned by the professor. Generally, TAs are expected to attend class, hold office hours, grade assignments, and potentially lead discussion or lab sections. This additional responsibility can require good time management skills to balance with coursework.

3. What are the benefits of participating in a co-op program?

Co-op programs offer students the opportunity to gain real-world experience in their field of study while still in school. This can provide valuable networking opportunities, hands-on experience, and a competitive edge in the job market after graduation. Additionally, co-op positions often come with a salary, which can help offset the cost of tuition.

4. Are there any drawbacks to participating in a co-op program?

One potential drawback of co-op programs is that they can extend the time it takes to complete a degree, as students are taking breaks from full-time school to work. This can also mean delaying graduation and entering the workforce. Additionally, co-op positions may not always align with a student's career goals or interests.

5. How can I balance full-time school, TA'ing, and a co-op position?

Balancing these three commitments can be challenging, but good time management and organization are key. It can be helpful to create a schedule and prioritize tasks, communicate with professors and supervisors about workload and availability, and take breaks to avoid burnout. It's also important to make time for self-care and prioritize tasks that are most important for academic and career success.