What is the final speed of the ball when the goalie catches it?

• Thread starter ian_durrant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the problem involves a soccer player kicking a ball towards a goal, with the ball leaving his foot at a speed of 19.2 m/s and an angle of 65.8 ° above the ground. The goal is 25.0 m away. The task is to find the speed of the ball when the goalie catches it in front of the net. Using the equations for kinematics in 2-dimensions, the initial velocity components were found to be 7.87 m/s in the x-direction and 17.5 m/s in the y-direction. With no acceleration in the x-direction, the speed in this direction remains constant. To find the time at which the ball reaches the net, the acceleration
ian_durrant
[SOLVED] Kinematics in 2-dimesions

Homework Statement

A soccer player kicks the ball toward a goal that is 25.0 m in front of him. The ball leaves his foot at a speed of 19.2 m/s and an angle of 65.8 ° above the ground. Find the speed of the ball when the goalie catches it in front of the net. (Note: The answer is not 19.2 m/s.)

Homework Equations

x=V(0)t+(1/2)gt^2

V^2=V(0)^2+2gy

V= sqrt(Vx^2+Vy^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok let me define all the variables I've got so far

V(0)= 19.2

Vx0= 7.87
x= 25 (12.5 for one half)
gx= 0? (not so sure about this one)
Vx= ?(at top of apex )

Vy= 0 (at top of apex)
gy=-9.8
y= 15.626
Vy0= 17.5 (initial y veolicty)

Ok so the first thing I did was find the inital velocity for the x and y componets using sine and cosine, so

V0x= 19.2cos65.8= 7.87
V0y=19.2sin65.8= 17.5

I then used my inital y velocity to find out the heigth (y distance) of the shot

Vy^2= Vy0^2+2gy
0= (17.5)^2+2(-9.8)y
y= 15.625

I'm unsure where to go now in order to out the speed of the ball when the goalie catches it i know that V= sqrt (Vx^2+Vy^2). Should i try and figure out the two final velocities and then plug them into that equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the time at which the ball reaches the position of the net. What you've written as [tex]g_x[/tex] is actually just acceleration in the x-direction, g is simply used to denote gravitational acceleration (which only occurs in what's defined as the y-direction in this problem). If air resistance is ignored, acceleration in the x-direction is 0.

Thus you know speed in the x-direction will not change over the course of the motion. Once you've found the time, you need to find the x and y velocities, and as you said, the square root of the sum of their squares is the speed at that point.

Ahhh i see it now, the height wasn't even needed in this problem, thanks for the tip.

What is kinematics in 2-dimensions?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. In 2-dimensions, the motion of an object is described in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration in both the x and y directions.

How is kinematics in 2-dimensions different from kinematics in 1-dimension?

In 1-dimension, the motion of an object is described in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration in a single direction. In 2-dimensions, the motion is described in terms of these quantities in both the x and y directions, taking into account the object's motion in two perpendicular planes.

What are the equations used to describe kinematics in 2-dimensions?

The equations used to describe kinematics in 2-dimensions are the same as those used in 1-dimension, but they are applied separately to the x and y components of the motion. These equations include equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration, as well as equations that relate these quantities to each other, such as the kinematic equations and the equations of motion.

How is projectile motion related to kinematics in 2-dimensions?

Projectile motion is a type of motion that occurs when an object is launched into the air and follows a curved path due to the force of gravity. This type of motion can be described using the principles of kinematics in 2-dimensions, as it involves the object's motion in both the x and y directions.

What are some real-life applications of kinematics in 2-dimensions?

Kinematics in 2-dimensions is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, calculating the motion of objects in sports, and understanding the motion of planets and satellites in space. It is also used in engineering and design to analyze the motion of objects and optimize their performance.