Find Spring Constant/ m, and Friction known

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the spring constant for a system with a mass of 2 kg and a natural frequency of 5 Hz. The formula used to solve this problem is \omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} = 2\pi f. The solution is obtained by squaring the frequency, multiplying it by 2, and taking the square root.
Jerm2006

Homework Statement

The question ask for the spring constant if the mass is 2 kg and the Natural Friction is 5 Hz.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried many different things but nothing other than putting in random spring constants into the 1/2pi*sqrt of (k/m). This came out to 1,974 N/m. I need a formula to get this awnser without guessing though.

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular frequency can be related to the spring constant and the mass and the frequency with the equation:

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} = 2\pi f[/tex]

Thanks man, I figured it out, take that then ^2 it, then multiply by 2 and I got my awnser.

1. What is a spring constant and how is it measured?

A spring constant, denoted as k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It defines the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement. It is measured by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement it causes.

2. How do you calculate the mass (m) of an object attached to a spring?

To calculate the mass of an object attached to a spring, you need to know the spring constant (k) and the frequency (f) of the oscillations. The formula is m = (4π²k)/(f²).

3. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on the material and dimensions of the spring. It can also change if the spring is deformed or damaged.

4. How does friction affect the motion of an object attached to a spring?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it will affect the motion of an object attached to a spring by decreasing its amplitude and slowing down its oscillations. It can also cause the spring to eventually reach a state of equilibrium and stop oscillating.

5. How can you determine the frictional force on an object attached to a spring?

The frictional force can be determined by measuring the angle of inclination of the surface the object is on and using the formula Ff = mg sin θ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of inclination.