Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
quddusaliquddus
Your Favourite Quotes?

What are your favourite quotes?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lol. This can only mean one thing - we can't forget The Godfather. :D

I didn't like that movie at all. Seemed like it went way too slow... sort of like Lord Of The Rings.

Hmmm...I guess we all have our tastes... :D

I taste salty

"sometimes I talk about tires and sometimes I talk about shopping carts"

Newton died an 84 year old virgin

?

And you know this why?

A good quote is from Maynard James Keenan.

"Today's woman puts on wigs, fake eyelashes, false fingernails, sixteen pounds of assorted make-up/shadows/blushes/creams, living bras, various pads that would make a linebacker envious, has implants and assorted other surgeries, then complains that she cannot find a "real" man."

However one of my fav's has to be:

"Eat well, stay fit, die anyway."

or this one from Robin Williams...

"Ah, yes, divorce, from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet."

I like people, especially with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

"Isn't that a bit excessive?" ~Vlaad the Impaler
"That's one small step for man..." ~Christopher Reeves

"Guess what! I got a fever! and the only prescription is more cowbell!" ~ Christopher Walkin (best actor ever) Blue Oyster Cult snl skit

"Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"I am responsible for everything ... except for my very responsibility, for I am not the foundation of my being. Therefore everything takes place as if I were compelled to be responsible. I am abandoned in the world ... in the sense that I find myself suddenly alone and without help, engaged in a world for which I bear the whole responsibility without being able, whatever I do, to tear myself away from this responsibility for an instant."
- Sartre

"The undisturbed mind is like the calm body water reflecting the brilliance of the moon. Empty the mind and you will realize the undisturbed mind."
-Yagyu Jubei

"The softest things in the world overcome the hardest things in the world."
-Lao Tzu

Good stuff, isn't it?

Likes BRC1994
"What this country needs is a good ten-cent cigar."
- Heinrich Himmler

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits

Likes kostoglotov
"My girlfriend always laughs during sex - no matter what she's reading."
-- Steve Jobs (Founder: Apple Computers)

"Hockey is a sport for white men.
Basketball is a sport for black men.
Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps."
-- Tiger Woods

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-b*tch."
-- Jack Nicholson

"I would never belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member." Groucho

Richard Kimble:I didn't kill my wife!
Marshall Girard:I don't care.
from the movie "The Fugitive"

"You'll shoot your eye out." Multiple people in "A Christmas Story"

"But ... these go to eleven. That's one louder." - "Spinal Tap"

"Who remembers the Armenians?" - Hitler

"Just as sore eyes cannot stand light, and prefer darkness, so it is with the body politic in times of trouble and humiliation. " -Plutarch, Life of Phocion

Njorl

"Dogbert: If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Dilbert: But I'm allergic to citrus.
Dogbert: If life give you lemons, swell up and die."

:biggrin:

jimmy p said:
A good quote is from Maynard James Keenan.

"Today's woman puts on wigs, fake eyelashes, false fingernails, sixteen pounds of assorted make-up/shadows/blushes/creams, living bras, various pads that would make a linebacker envious, has implants and assorted other surgeries, then complains that she cannot find a "real" man."

However one of my fav's has to be:

"Eat well, stay fit, die anyway."

or this one from Robin Williams...

"Ah, yes, divorce, from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet."

love maynard's lyrics :smile: and Robin Williams is one of the most brilliant comedians ever.

Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain. ~
Lily Tomlin

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. ~
Lily Tomlin

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity. ~Frank Leahy

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. ~
Lily Tomlin"

LOL ... never thought of it like that!

When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

"The future ain't what it use to be"

Both attributed to Yogi Berra

Marge: "Bart! You can't tell God to kill Sideshow Bob!"
Homer: "Yeah, do you own dirty work!"

hehe

"[Alone] I like, at times, to hear The Ancient's word,
And have a care to be most civil:
It's really kind of such a noble Lord
So humanly to gossip with the Devil!" - Mephistopheles -- Faust

"There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." ~Morpheus
"The body cannot live without the mind." ~Morpheus
"Guess who watched "The Matrix" last night?"~Tribdog

Last edited:
Never decide to buy something while listening to the salesman.

If there is an opportunity to make a mistake, sooner or later the mistake will be made.

Being sure mistakes will occur is a good frame of mind for catching them.

Check the answer you have worked out once more -- before you tell it to anybody.

When in doubt, mumble.
When in trouble, delegate.
When in charge, ponder.

~Murphy's Laws :approve:

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
James D. Nicoll

English was a language invented by Norman invaders to pick up
Anglo-Saxon barmaids. It retains much of this character.

Only crackpots think the plural of anecdote is evidence

How do you get a giant squid through a revolving door? - Lazo-Wasem, Zoologist
http://leisure.newstimes.com/story.php?id=65188 [Broken]

Now there's a problem that I never considered.

Last edited by a moderator:
'The only way to improve at something is to start from the beginning and work up again.'
- The Bob (unless anyone knows someone who said it first)

The Bob (2004 ©)

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life - daily and hourly. Our answer must consist, not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual."

-Victor Frankl

The_Professional said:
"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us."
-Victor Frankl

Riddle : What came first, the Frankl or the JFK ?

They were contemp's, weren't they ?

Said by a weary wife in Chicago:

Da Bulls. Da Bears. Da-vorce.

Said by Coach Frank Kush after his placekicker missed a field goal that would have won the game:

He couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a handful of popcorn.

"It isn't premarital sex if you have no intention of getting married."
George Burns

I just came across this one recently and really thought it was great (George Burns was such a great comedian).

There are some more serious ones I'm fond of, but I'd have to look them up to get them right.

This is all your fault, Moonbear.

Here's a few Woody Allen gems :

Sex between a man and a woman can be absolutely wonderful - provided you get between the right man and the right woman.

A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to sleep with me and she said 'no'.

Some guy hit my fender, and I told him 'be fruitful, and multiply.' But not in those words.

My love life is terrible. The last time I was inside a woman was when I visited the Statue of Liberty.

BoulderHead, that is really outrageously gross :eek: :eek: :yuck: :yuck:

:rofl:

<h2>1. What is the purpose of finding solace in favourite quotes?</h2><p>The purpose of finding solace in favourite quotes is to provide comfort and inspiration during difficult times. Quotes can offer a new perspective, remind us of our inner strength, and provide guidance on how to cope with challenges.</p><h2>2. How can quotes help us escape despair?</h2><p>Quotes can help us escape despair by offering words of wisdom and encouragement. They can remind us of the power of positivity and the importance of gratitude, which can shift our mindset and help us see the light in dark situations.</p><h2>3. Are there specific types of quotes that are more effective in providing solace?</h2><p>The effectiveness of a quote in providing solace is subjective and varies from person to person. However, quotes that resonate with an individual's personal experiences and beliefs are more likely to offer comfort and solace.</p><h2>4. Can quotes be used as a form of therapy?</h2><p>Yes, quotes can be used as a form of therapy. They can serve as a source of reflection and self-discovery, and can help individuals process their emotions and thoughts in a healthy way.</p><h2>5. How can one incorporate favourite quotes into their daily life?</h2><p>Incorporating favourite quotes into daily life can be done in various ways, such as writing them down and keeping them in a visible place, using them as daily affirmations, or sharing them with others. It is also helpful to reflect on the meaning of the quote and how it can be applied to one's life.</p>

1. What is the purpose of finding solace in favourite quotes?

The purpose of finding solace in favourite quotes is to provide comfort and inspiration during difficult times. Quotes can offer a new perspective, remind us of our inner strength, and provide guidance on how to cope with challenges.

2. How can quotes help us escape despair?

Quotes can help us escape despair by offering words of wisdom and encouragement. They can remind us of the power of positivity and the importance of gratitude, which can shift our mindset and help us see the light in dark situations.

3. Are there specific types of quotes that are more effective in providing solace?

The effectiveness of a quote in providing solace is subjective and varies from person to person. However, quotes that resonate with an individual's personal experiences and beliefs are more likely to offer comfort and solace.

4. Can quotes be used as a form of therapy?

Yes, quotes can be used as a form of therapy. They can serve as a source of reflection and self-discovery, and can help individuals process their emotions and thoughts in a healthy way.

5. How can one incorporate favourite quotes into their daily life?

Incorporating favourite quotes into daily life can be done in various ways, such as writing them down and keeping them in a visible place, using them as daily affirmations, or sharing them with others. It is also helpful to reflect on the meaning of the quote and how it can be applied to one's life.