Understanding Wave Refraction in Denser Media

In summary, the phenomenon of refraction occurs when a wave enters a denser medium and the varying instant at which different parts of the wavefront hit the boundary causes the direction of the wave to change. This is explained by Huygen's principle in the wave model of light. In terms of particles, the energy remains unchanged but the momentum is altered, resulting in a change in direction. Some of the wavefront continues through the gaps between atoms, while some is transferred to the new medium. The FAQ provides more information on how photons are affected in a solid medium.
Noj Werdna
Why does a wave refract as it enters a denser medium?
i thought a wave was a photon and so i don't understand how a particle can be slowed down on one side before the other, enough that it changes direction by that much, would it not just move between the atoms? as most of the atom is just empty?
Are photons effected by polarity? (eg. magnet)

Science news on Phys.org
What is "slowed" down is not the photon, but the group velocity of the wave. Since a "wave" has a wavefront, the varying instant that different parts of the wavefront hits the boundary is what causes the direction of the wave to change.

Read the FAQ to know how photons are affected in a solid medium.

Zz.

It is actually the wave velocity that equals c/n.

Noj Werdna said:
Why does a wave refract as it enters a denser medium?
i thought a wave was a photon and so i don't understand how a particle can be slowed down on one side before the other, enough that it changes direction by that much, would it not just move between the atoms? as most of the atom is just empty?
Good question. The wave model of light is usually used to describe refraction, using a concept known as 'Huygen's principle'. But as to what physically causes the wavefront to slow in an optically denser material, I don't know.

In terms of waves, the energy (frequency) is unchanged when moving across a material interface, but the momentum (wavlength) is changed.

If you are asking for this picture to be explained in terms of particles, I don't know a clean way to do that.

If the wave front hits the 'new' medium then where the atoms or particles are the wave will be slowed(or transfer energy) to the new mediums 'contents' (I mean molecules/atoms that make it up) some of the enrgy passes through these 'giant' gaps between the atoms where there is """"Nothing""" so some wave front continues, some wave front is stopped and some is transferred to this 'new' medium...?

What is wave refraction?

Wave refraction is the bending of waves as they pass from one medium to another with a different density. This change in density causes the wave to change direction.

Why does wave refraction occur in denser media?

Wave refraction occurs in denser media because the speed of the wave is slower in a denser medium. This change in speed causes the wave to bend towards the normal, or perpendicular, to the surface of the denser medium.

What factors affect wave refraction?

The density and angle of incidence of the wave are the main factors that affect wave refraction. The greater the difference in density between the two media, the greater the refraction. The angle of incidence also plays a role, as steeper angles will result in more refraction.

What is the relationship between wave speed and wave refraction?

As mentioned earlier, the speed of the wave is a major factor in wave refraction. The greater the difference in speed between the two media, the greater the refraction. This is because the change in speed causes the wave to change direction.

How is wave refraction important in real life?

Wave refraction is important in many aspects of our daily lives. For example, it is responsible for the bending of light in lenses, making it possible for us to see objects clearly. It also plays a role in the formation of ocean waves and the movement of seismic waves in the Earth's crust. Understanding wave refraction is essential in many fields of science and technology, such as optics, oceanography, and geology.