Gauss' Law and electric fields

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the net charge and electric field at a specific point for a cylindrical shell with a uniform charge distribution. The net charge is calculated using Gauss's law and the electric field at a specific point is found using the radius of the shell and the distance from the axis. The conversation also mentions a potential mistake in the calculation of the net charge, which is later corrected.
Tentothe
I really just want to know if I'm doing this correctly, as I don't have access to the answer to check.

Homework Statement

A cylindrical shell of radius 7.00 cm and length 240 cm has its charge uniformly distributed on its curved surface. The magnitude of the electric field at a point 19.0 cm radially outward from its axis (measured from the midpoint of the shell) is 36.0 kN/C. Find (a) the net charge on the shell and (b) the electric field at a point 4.00 cm from the axis, measured radially outward from the midpoint of the shell.

Homework Equations

[tex]\phi=4\pi kQ[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Because 19.0 cm is relatively close to the shell given its length of 240 cm, I chose a cylinder with radius of 0.19 m as my Gaussian surface. The electric field vector is parallel to the normal vector of the cylindrical surface at all points, so

[tex]\phi=EA=E2\pi (r-0.07 m)h=4\pi kQ \frac{h}{2.4 m}[/tex]

[tex]Q=\frac{(2.4 m)E(r-0.07 m)}{2k}=\frac{(2.4 m)(3.60 * 10^{4} N/C)(0.12 m)}{2(9 * 10^{9} Nm^{2}/C^{2})}=5.76 * 10^{-7} C[/tex]

(b) A point 4.00 cm from the axis is within the shell itself since it has a radius of 7.00 cm. If I were to choose a cylinder of radius 0.04 m for a Gaussian surface, would the electric field not be zero since it would contain no charge within?

I'm really not sure if I'm modeling this correctly at all. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tentothe,

Tentothe said:

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Because 19.0 cm is relatively close to the shell given its length of 240 cm, I chose a cylinder with radius of 0.19 m as my Gaussian surface. The electric field vector is parallel to the normal vector of the cylindrical surface at all points, so

[tex]\phi=EA=E2\pi (r-0.07 m)h=4\pi kQ \frac{h}{2.4 m}[/tex]

The area A is the area of the Gaussian surface, which is a cylinder with radius 19cm. Remember in this case we want the surface area of the curved part of the cylinder. Do you see what's not right in the above work?

[tex]Q=\frac{(2.4 m)E(r-0.07 m)}{2k}=\frac{(2.4 m)(3.60 * 10^{4} N/C)(0.12 m)}{2(9 * 10^{9} Nm^{2}/C^{2})}=5.76 * 10^{-7} C[/tex]

(b) A point 4.00 cm from the axis is within the shell itself since it has a radius of 7.00 cm. If I were to choose a cylinder of radius 0.04 m for a Gaussian surface, would the electric field not be zero since it would contain no charge within?

That sounds right to me.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's the radius that's throwing me here. I think I may have originally had it correct with:

[tex]Q=\frac{(2.4 m)Er}{2k}=\frac{(2.4 m)(3.60 * 10^{4} N/C)(0.19 m)}{2(9 * 10^{9} Nm^{2}/C^{2})}=9.12 * 10^{-7} C[/tex]

My thinking was that I'd made a mistake because the radius of the shell itself (7 cm) wasn't used anywhere in my answer, but it looks like that's really only there to help with part (b).

Tentothe said:
I'm guessing it's the radius that's throwing me here. I think I may have originally had it correct with:

[tex]Q=\frac{(2.4 m)Er}{2k}=\frac{(2.4 m)(3.60 * 10^{4} N/C)(0.19 m)}{2(9 * 10^{9} Nm^{2}/C^{2})}=9.12 * 10^{-7} C[/tex]

My thinking was that I'd made a mistake because the radius of the shell itself (7 cm) wasn't used anywhere in my answer, but it looks like that's really only there to help with part (b).

That looks right to me.

Thanks for your help!

Sure, glad to help!

Tentothe said:

please help me for b

1. What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the total charge enclosed by that surface.

2. How is Gauss' Law used to calculate electric fields?

Gauss' Law can be used to calculate electric fields in situations where there is a high degree of symmetry, such as a point charge, line of charge, or a charged sphere. By using Gauss' Law and taking advantage of the symmetry of the electric field, we can simplify the calculation and find the electric field at a point outside or inside the charged object.

3. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged object and exerts a force on other charged objects that enter its influence. Electric fields are represented by vectors, with the direction of the vector indicating the direction of the force on a positive charge in that field.

4. What are the units of electric field?

The units of electric field are newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system of units. This means that for every coulomb of charge, there is a force of one newton acting on it in the direction of the electric field vector.

5. What are some real-life applications of Gauss' Law and electric fields?

Gauss' Law and electric fields have many practical applications, including in the design of electronic devices, such as capacitors and transistors. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI machines, which use electric and magnetic fields to create images of the human body. Electric fields are also used in particle accelerators, where charged particles are accelerated to high speeds using strong electric fields.