How to prepare for a math quickness/accuracy pre-interviews?

• Thread starter jmcgraw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prepare
In summary, the first stage of the application process for a finance job may involve an 8-minute numerical test to assess math speed and accuracy. Only candidates who meet the qualifications will continue with the interview process. To prepare, you can research techniques for improving speed and accuracy in mathematics and make sure to have a small calculator on hand during the test.
jmcgraw
Hello,

I am applying for some jobs that have pre-interview tests. Here is one description:

the first stage in the application process involves a brief (8 minute) numerical test which assesses candidates’ math speed and accuracy. Only candidates who meet xxxxxx’s qualifications will be considered to continue with interview process.

This is for a finance job, and I am an electrical engineering major with a pretty high gpa. So I obviously have a solid math background, but what should I expect from these kinds of tests?

How should I prepare? What to anticipate? Mainly I don't want to be nervous, but of course I'd also really like to ace the thing.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure you have a small Calculator in your pocket and don't let them see you using it. :shy:

What is the purpose of a math quickness/accuracy pre-interview?

The purpose of a math quickness/accuracy pre-interview is to assess a candidate's ability to solve mathematical problems quickly and accurately. This is important for jobs that require strong math skills, such as data analysis, financial analysis, and scientific research.

What types of questions can I expect in a math quickness/accuracy pre-interview?

The questions in a math quickness/accuracy pre-interview will typically cover a range of topics, including arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and data analysis. They may also include word problems, logic puzzles, and quantitative reasoning questions.

How can I prepare for a math quickness/accuracy pre-interview?

To prepare for a math quickness/accuracy pre-interview, it is important to review the basic concepts and formulas in math, as well as practice solving problems quickly and accurately. You can also find sample questions online or in test preparation books to familiarize yourself with the types of questions that may be asked.

Is there a time limit for a math quickness/accuracy pre-interview?

Yes, there is usually a time limit for a math quickness/accuracy pre-interview. This is to assess your ability to solve problems quickly and under pressure. It is important to manage your time effectively and prioritize the questions you feel most confident about.

What should I do if I encounter a difficult question during a math quickness/accuracy pre-interview?

If you encounter a difficult question during a math quickness/accuracy pre-interview, do not panic. Take a deep breath and try to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps. If you are still struggling, you can skip the question and come back to it later if you have time. It is important to keep a positive attitude and not let one difficult question affect your performance on the rest of the pre-interview.