Electrical circuits conceptual question

In summary, the pattern for voltage distribution in a series circuit with equal resistances is that the voltage is equally divided among the resistances. In a series circuit with unequal resistances, the voltage is divided proportionally based on the resistance values. In a parallel circuit with equal resistances, the voltage across each resistance will be the same. In a parallel circuit with unequal resistances, the voltage will vary based on the resistance values. In either scenario, there is a direct relationship between the size of resistance and the size of voltage.
jaejoon89
1) What is the pattern for how voltage gets distributed in a series circuit with equal resistances? what about with unequal resistances?
2) What about in a parallel circuit for equal resistances? with unequal resistances?
In either scenario, is there any relation btwn the size of resistance and size of voltage?

Physics news on Phys.org
jaejoon89 said:
1) What is the pattern for how voltage gets distributed in a series circuit with equal resistances? what about with unequal resistances?
2) What about in a parallel circuit for equal resistances? with unequal resistances?
In either scenario, is there any relation btwn the size of resistance and size of voltage?

Apparently you are interested in V=I*R, and the sum of the voltages in a loop are 0. Likewise the sum of the currents into a node are equal to the sum of the currents out of a node.

The rest of your question then is determining equivalent resistances, which follow from these 3 principles.

Thanks, but I'm still not sure I understand how that'll affect the pattern... does that mean there will be negative voltages so the sum is 0? I imagine with equal resistances, voltage would be equal both for parallel and series, but I'm not sure...

jaejoon89 said:
Thanks, but I'm still not sure I understand how that'll affect the pattern... does that mean there will be negative voltages so the sum is 0? I imagine with equal resistances, voltage would be equal both for parallel and series, but I'm not sure...

If you have current you have a voltage source. Your loop is a complete circuit.

For equal resistances then your current being the same in series will result in what ... ?

1. What is an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit is a path that allows electricity to flow from one point to another. It is made up of various components such as wires, batteries, and resistors, that work together to carry and control the flow of electrical energy.

2. What are the different types of circuits?

There are three main types of circuits: series, parallel, and series-parallel. In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, so the same current flows through each element. In a parallel circuit, components are connected in multiple branches, so the current is divided among them. A series-parallel circuit combines elements of both series and parallel circuits.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits have a constantly changing direction of flow for the electricity, while DC (direct current) circuits have a steady flow of electricity in one direction. AC is used for power distribution over long distances, while DC is commonly used for smaller electronic devices.

4. How do you calculate voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit?

Voltage (V) is calculated by dividing the amount of energy (in joules) by the amount of charge (in coulombs). Current (I) is calculated by dividing the amount of charge (in coulombs) by the amount of time (in seconds). Resistance (R) is calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the current (I) using Ohm's Law: R = V/I.

5. What is the purpose of a fuse or circuit breaker in a circuit?

A fuse or circuit breaker is a safety device that is used to protect circuits from overloading and overheating. They work by interrupting the flow of electricity when the current exceeds a certain limit. This prevents damage to the circuit and can prevent fires from occurring.