Photo Contest - Autumn/Fall (Nov 8-15)

In summary: MORE...this year!In summary, Autumn (Fall) is a time of change, transition, and growth. The contest theme is open to any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo related to Autumn (Fall), and members are allowed one picture per week. Pictures must be no larger than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels, and must be posted in the contest thread. Members are allowed to use a picture only once. At the end of the contest, a poll will be opened for members to vote on their favorite picture.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Autumn (Fall)

For my first week of running the contest I thought I'd take a broad theme. Anything you relate to the season of Autumn (Fall, for you yanks) qualifies. It can be something obvious, or if you like some more personal association of yours. If it's not obvious, explain :smile:

Enjoy!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll toss this one in. Fall foliage from a lookout about a mile from my house.

fall650.jpg

Edit: the green streak running across the image is formed by pine trees on old farms that lined the Kennebec river. Settlers cleared the rich bottom-land for farming, and pine trees reclaimed the edges of those fields. The bright roof in the center is the main barn/milking parlor for the Williams Farm - many hundreds of acres of silage corn, hay, etc over there, but it's hidden by the trees.

Last edited:
deer.jpg

Deer mating season, the pretty little lady deer came by about 5 minutes before he did.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/6619/res01290eo3.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good shot Hypatia. That deer means business. But the subject is a killer. I have narrowed down possible entries to about a dozen. Which one to chose?

Wow! These are all great so far. I love your composition, waht. hypatia, that is a great catch with the deer shot.

Wow turbo that is really beautiful. I would like to visit Maine one day, your pictures make it look hard not to want to see it for real.

a little snap of the cahaba river i took 2 years ago.

100_0362-sized.jpg

scorpa said:
Wow turbo that is really beautiful. I would like to visit Maine one day, your pictures make it look hard not to want to see it for real.
Edited: See reply to Borek. This is a wonderful lookout, but it doesn't come into its own until we have fall colors. BTW, the Sugarloaf region has some REALLY twisty roads...

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
It's hard to stand on a lookout like this, and not make sweeping generalizations.

This is view to the west? In the Sugarloaf direction?

The Danube valley in South Germany, one year ago

danube.JPG

Borek said:
This is view to the west? In the Sugarloaf direction?
That is indeed a shot toward Sugarloaf. The Kennebec valley is a pretty place, though it's usually only in fall when you get enough variation in leaf-color color to make a wide-angle shot attractive. It's also neat to see snow on the mountains when we don't have any here, but that's a reminder that winter is coming - brrr. Last winter, we got over 10' of snow-fall, and I'm hoping for no repeat.

Some great pics people. This is going to be a tough vote, as usual.
I'll toss this one into the fray.

autumn.jpg

This is a lane in Norfolk, taken last week.

turbo-1 said:
Edited: See reply to Borek. This is a wonderful lookout, but it doesn't come into its own until we have fall colors. BTW, the Sugarloaf region has some REALLY twisty roads...

I've never been further east than Saskatchewan haha so one of my goals is to take a big bike trip some day and see quebec, the maritimes and then head south and see a bit of the eastern US before I head back. That would be a hell of a ride, I just hope one day I actually have time to do it. Next summer I am hoping to get enough time off to ride up to the Yukon and Alaska, I have heard that is a ride nothing short of amazing.

scorpa said:
I've never been further east than Saskatchewan haha so one of my goals is to take a big bike trip some day and see quebec, the maritimes and then head south and see a bit of the eastern US before I head back. That would be a hell of a ride, I just hope one day I actually have time to do it. Next summer I am hoping to get enough time off to ride up to the Yukon and Alaska, I have heard that is a ride nothing short of amazing.
You would love the mountain roads here, and the maritimes are beautiful, too. Lots of folks travel the Atlantic coast of NS, but I much prefer the Fundy side. The Royal Gardens at Annapolis Royale were gorgeous. I didn't expect to enjoy them as much as I did, planning that stop for the sake of my mother-in-law. The park guides were very knowledgeable and had cogent explanations for how the area was farmed. The settlers brought lowland technology with them, and reclaimed land from the sea from farming. They built dikes with wooden flapper valves at their bases. When the big Fundy tides came in, the valves would close, allowing fresh water from streams to accumulate behind the dikes. When the tides went out, the water (with some dissolved salts) flowed out through the valves. At first, only salt tolerant plants could be grown in the reclaimed bottom-land, but eventually the salt was flushed out and almost any plants could grow there.

Those explanations fit very nicely with the stuff I learned at another place. My wife and her mother and aunt were interested in the Evangeline Chapel so we stopped there. I wandered around back just looking around and found a fully-restored pre-colonial era blacksmith shop, and the guide explained how the slings were used to hoist oxen in the air and their hooves were clamped in wooden vises so they could be shod. They had "mud-shoes" made of reinforced wooden planks that were fastened to the feet of the oxen so they could plow the bottom-land without getting stuck in the mud and silt. There is a lot of 16th-17th C European know-how evident in NS.

Victoria Park in Truro is another neat place - you wouldn't expect such a nice collection of waterfalls, hiking paths, etc in a city of that size. We went there to walk off a lobster dinner and stayed much longer than we had planned.

grzyb.jpg

autumn_leaves.jpg

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6848/img2774fc2.jpg [Broken]

Zz.

Outstanding Borek.

dlgoff said:
Outstanding Borek.

So I can count on at least one vote? :wink:

You got my vote. Where's the poll?

dlgoff said:
You got my vote. Where's the poll?

The poll starts on saturday after the entries are all in :smile:

Two (ish) days to go if you want to submit!

I took a day trip to Cherokee North Carolina a few weeks ago. I drove by this scene and had to stop and take a shot of it.
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7820/autumfalljr7.jpg [Broken]

Marzena said:
grzyb.jpg

Wonderful Mushroom Marzena!

Andre said:
The Danube valley in South Germany, one year ago
Wow!

larkspur said:
I took a day trip to Cherokee North Carolina a few weeks ago. I drove by this scene and had to stop and take a shot of it.
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7820/autumfalljr7.jpg [Broken]
[/URL]

I want to live in the world the way larkspur sees it.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/6554/dscn1921go8.jpg [Broken]

Thanks ZapperZ for past competitions, and Matthyaouw for taking over, just wanted to contribute, too. Leeds Castle, strangely, in Kent. How do I get rid of the imageshack thing at the bottom?

{Edit: I've edited your post to include the proper picture - Zz}

Great, thanks, Gokul!

Japanese maple tree in my backyard, 2 days ago. Today those leaves are noticeably browner.

JapMaple_Fall2008_7217.jpg

Redbelly98 said:
Japanese maple tree in my backyard, 2 days ago. Today those leaves are noticeably browner.

Acer palmatum, likely var dissectum. Do a google image on that. Awesome tree.

larkspur said:
Wonderful Mushroom Marzena!

Thanks, larkspur

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is the theme of the photo contest?</h2><p>The theme of the photo contest is Autumn/Fall, meaning that all submitted photos should showcase the beauty and essence of the season.</p><h2>2. Who can participate in the photo contest?</h2><p>The photo contest is open to anyone who is interested in photography and meets the eligibility requirements set by the contest organizers. This may include age restrictions or specific location requirements.</p><h2>3. How do I submit my photo for the contest?</h2><p>To submit your photo for the contest, you will need to follow the instructions provided by the contest organizers. This may include uploading your photo to a designated website or sending it via email.</p><h2>4. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?</h2><p>The rules of the contest may vary, but in most cases, participants are allowed to submit multiple photos for the contest. However, it is important to carefully read the rules and guidelines to ensure that you are following the submission requirements.</p><h2>5. How will the winner be chosen?</h2><p>The winner of the photo contest will be chosen by a panel of judges who will evaluate the submissions based on the criteria set by the contest organizers. This may include factors such as creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. The winner will be announced after the judging process is complete.</p>

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is Autumn/Fall, meaning that all submitted photos should showcase the beauty and essence of the season.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who is interested in photography and meets the eligibility requirements set by the contest organizers. This may include age restrictions or specific location requirements.

3. How do I submit my photo for the contest?

To submit your photo for the contest, you will need to follow the instructions provided by the contest organizers. This may include uploading your photo to a designated website or sending it via email.

4. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?

The rules of the contest may vary, but in most cases, participants are allowed to submit multiple photos for the contest. However, it is important to carefully read the rules and guidelines to ensure that you are following the submission requirements.

5. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner of the photo contest will be chosen by a panel of judges who will evaluate the submissions based on the criteria set by the contest organizers. This may include factors such as creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. The winner will be announced after the judging process is complete.