How to Derive the Integral of Sqrt[x^2-a] Using Trigonometric Substitution?

• Thread starter coverband
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the derivative of the expression 0.5(x(x^2-a)^0.5)-0.5aln(x+(x^2-a)^0.5) without using tables. The suggested method is to take the natural log of both sides and then use the chain rule to find the derivative. Another method using trigonometric substitution is also mentioned.
coverband
I believe the answer is 0.5(x(x^2-a)^0.5)-0.5aln(x+(x^2-a)^0.5)

does anyone know how to get this/derive this i.e. not take from tables !

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe what you can do is write out the expression and take the log of both sides. WHen taking the derivative, you must remember y is a function of x.

y = Sqrt[x^2 - a]
y = [x^2 - a]^(1/2)

Take natural log

Ln[y] = Ln{ [x^2 - a]^(1/2) }
Ln[y] = (1/2) Ln{[x^2 - a]}

Take derivative wrt x. Don't forget you must apply chain rule to right hand side. Where y' comes out anyway.

(1/y) (y') = 2x/ (2 (x^2 - a))

writing more neatly, cancel a two

(y'/y) = x / (x^2 - a)

Finally, multiply a y back over and resub your origional y.

y' = yx/ (x^2 - a) y = [x^2 - a]^(1/2)

Thus
y' = x [x^2 - a]^(1/2) / (x^2 - a)

y' = x(x^2 - a)^(-1/2)

I'm an idiot, I took a deravitive. Not even the easiest way either.

Use a trigo substitution. Specifically, look at the ones for sec and tan.

1. What is the purpose of integrating Sqrt[x^2-a]?

The purpose of integrating Sqrt[x^2-a] is to find the area under the curve of the function over a given interval. It is also used to calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration in physics and engineering problems.

2. What is the general approach to integrating Sqrt[x^2-a]?

The general approach to integrating Sqrt[x^2-a] is to use a substitution method, where we assign a new variable to the expression inside the square root. This allows us to convert the integral into a more manageable form and solve it using basic integration techniques.

3. How do you choose the appropriate substitution for integrating Sqrt[x^2-a]?

The appropriate substitution for integrating Sqrt[x^2-a] depends on the value of "a". If "a" is a positive number, we use x = a*sinh(u) or x = a*tanh(u) as the substitution. If "a" is a negative number, we use x = -a*cosh(u) or x = -a*tan(u) as the substitution. This allows us to eliminate the square root and simplify the integral.

4. What is the final answer to the integral of Sqrt[x^2-a]?

The final answer to the integral of Sqrt[x^2-a] is (x/2)*Sqrt[x^2-a] + (a/2)*ln|x + Sqrt[x^2-a]| + C. This can be derived by using the appropriate substitution and then using basic integration techniques such as u-substitution and integration by parts.

5. Can you provide an example of integrating Sqrt[x^2-a]?

Sure, let's say we want to integrate Sqrt[x^2-9]. Using the substitution x = 3*sinh(u), we can rewrite the integral as 3*sinh(u)*cosh(u)du, which simplifies to (9/2)*sinh(2u) + C. Substituting back for x, the final answer is (3x/2)*Sqrt[x^2-9] + (9/2)*ln|x + Sqrt[x^2-9]| + C.