P-waves and S-wave reflection and refraction

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's role as an instructor for an oil well acoustic logging company and their search for animations showing acoustic wave propagation in various mediums. Suggestions were provided for potential resources, including academic institutions and research organizations, that may have relevant simulations and animations available.
remfleg
I am instructor for a company that does Oil well Accoustic logging.

Basically we send an Acoustic pulse out and have a reciever 3' and 5' down the tool (vertically) as we log up and interpret the signal that is received back at the reciever.

I was wondering if anyone can help me find any animations that show a mono-pole accoustic source wave that is reflected and refracted at various mediums. Basic acoustic wave propogation. I see a lot information out there dealing with seismics but it doesn't deal with the reciever being basically at the same spot as the transmitter

the mediums we specifically deal with are steel to cement and cement to various geological formations.

thanks for any help you guys might be able to give me

Science news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing about your work as an instructor for an oil well acoustic logging company. Your job sounds very interesting and important in understanding the geological formations and structures beneath the Earth's surface.

In terms of finding animations that show the propagation of acoustic waves, I would recommend searching for resources from academic institutions or research organizations that specialize in geophysics or acoustics. These sources are likely to have more detailed and accurate simulations of acoustic wave propagation in various mediums.

One potential resource is the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG), which has a section on their website dedicated to educational resources. They have a variety of animations and simulations related to seismic waves and their propagation through different materials. While these may not be specific to your particular type of acoustic logging, they may still provide useful visualizations of wave propagation in different mediums.

Another potential resource is the American Geophysical Union (AGU), which has a section on their website dedicated to educational resources and animations. They have a variety of animations and simulations related to geophysics, including ones on seismic waves and their propagation through different materials.

Additionally, you may want to reach out to universities or research institutions that have departments or programs focused on geophysics or acoustics. They may have their own simulations or animations that they use for teaching purposes and may be willing to share them with you.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in your search for animations that show acoustic wave propagation. Best of luck in your work as an instructor and in your research on oil well acoustic logging. Thank you for your dedication to studying and understanding the Earth's subsurface.

I can provide some information and resources related to P-waves and S-wave reflection and refraction in the context of oil well acoustic logging.

P-waves (primary waves) and S-waves (secondary waves) are two types of seismic waves that are produced by an earthquake or an artificial source, such as an acoustic pulse in oil well logging. P-waves are longitudinal waves that travel faster than S-waves and can travel through solids, liquids, and gases. S-waves are transverse waves that can only travel through solids.

In the context of oil well acoustic logging, P-waves and S-waves are used to determine the properties of the subsurface formations. When an acoustic pulse is sent out by the transmitter, it travels through the different materials and gets reflected and refracted at the interfaces between different materials. The reflected and refracted waves are then received by the receiver, which is usually placed a few feet away from the transmitter.

To better understand this process, you can refer to animations and simulations that show the propagation of acoustic waves in different materials. Some resources that may be helpful are:

1. The interactive simulation "Wave on a string" by PhET Interactive Simulations, which allows you to change the properties of the string and observe the resulting wave behavior: https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/wave-on-a-string

2. The animation "Seismic Waves: Reflection and Refraction" by IRIS (Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology), which shows how P-waves and S-waves are reflected and refracted at different interfaces: https://www.iris.edu/hq/programs/education_and_outreach/animations/18

3. The video "Seismic waves and acoustic logging" by Geology Logic, which explains the basics of seismic waves and how they are used in oil well logging:

In addition, you can also refer to textbooks and research papers on seismic wave propagation and oil well acoustic logging for more in-depth information on the topic.

I hope this helps and provides some useful resources for your work. Best of luck with your research and logging efforts.

1. What are P-waves and S-waves?

P-waves, or primary waves, are a type of seismic waves that travel through the Earth's interior and cause particles to move in a back-and-forth motion. S-waves, or secondary waves, are another type of seismic waves that cause particles to move perpendicular to the direction of wave travel.

2. How do P-waves and S-waves differ in their ability to travel through different materials?

P-waves are able to travel through both solids and liquids, while S-waves can only travel through solids. This is because S-waves require a medium with shear strength, which liquids do not have.

3. What is reflection of seismic waves?

Reflection of seismic waves occurs when a wave encounters a boundary between two materials with different densities, causing the wave to change direction and travel back towards the surface. This can happen with both P-waves and S-waves.

4. How does refraction of seismic waves work?

Refraction of seismic waves occurs when the wave encounters a boundary between two materials with different densities at an angle, causing the wave to change direction and travel through the material at a different angle. This can happen with both P-waves and S-waves.

5. What is the significance of studying P-wave and S-wave reflection and refraction?

Studying P-wave and S-wave reflection and refraction can provide valuable information about the Earth's interior, such as the composition and density of different layers. This can help scientists better understand plate tectonics, earthquakes, and other geological processes.