Is there a better way to integrate this

• Thread starter Dell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the best way to integrate the function \frac{x^2}{2x+3} is to first carry out long division to get a polynomial plus a proper fraction. Then, integrate the polynomial and the proper fraction separately using variable substitution. This method is more efficient and less prone to mistakes compared to integration by parts.
Dell
what is the best way to integrate this functio, i integrated in parts

f(x)=x2/2x+3

i split the top of the fraction and then integrated the x2 half using integration in parts, but its just long and lots of place to make mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to rid of the top bit. Here is a hint [tex] x^2=\frac{1}{4}((2x-3)(2x+3) + 9) [/tex].

Good luck

Dell said:
what is the best way to integrate this functio, i integrated in parts

f(x)=x2/2x+3

i split the top of the fraction and then integrated the x2 half using integration in parts, but its just long and lots of place to make mistakes.

I assume you mean:
[tex]\frac{x^2}{2x+3}[/tex]

Note the degree of the numerator is higher than that of the denominator. (Improper rational function like an improper fraction.)
You should first carryout long division of the polynomials (and check by re-multiplying).
You will then get a polynomial plus a proper fraction. Since the denom. has degree 1 the numerator (remainder) will be constant and you can integrate via simple variable substitution.

Carry out the long division:
[tex] 2x+3)\overline{x^2 + 0x + 0}[/tex]

You should get:
[tex] P(x)+ \frac{C}{2x+3}[/tex]
where P is a polynomial

You can easily integrate:
[tex] \int P(x)dx + C/2 \int \frac{du}{u};\quad u = 2x+3[/tex]

1. What is integration in science?

Integration in science refers to the process of combining different pieces of information or data to form a more complete understanding of a topic or phenomenon.

2. Why is integration important in science?

Integration allows scientists to synthesize information from multiple sources and perspectives, leading to a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of a topic. It also helps to identify patterns and connections between seemingly unrelated data.

3. How is integration different from synthesis?

Integration involves combining different pieces of information or data to form a more complete understanding, while synthesis involves creating new knowledge or ideas by combining existing information or data in a creative way.

4. Are there different methods of integrating information in science?

Yes, there are various methods of integration in science including literature reviews, meta-analyses, and systematic reviews. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the research question and available data.

5. What are some challenges of integrating information in science?

Some challenges of integration in science include the potential for bias or conflicting information, difficulty in obtaining and organizing large amounts of data, and the need for specialized knowledge or skills to effectively integrate information from different fields or disciplines.