Smart House Plants: Text for Help When Thirsty

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary, for just $99 each, you can have your house plants call you and remind you when they need watering. This technology may seem crazy, but it could be useful for those who are forgetful or not always home. However, some features may not be practical, such as receiving internet messages or alarms. Some may argue that plants should not be kept in captivity and that simpler methods, like setting plants in a sink of water, can also be effective.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Crazy about your house plants? well for just $99 each they can call you and tell you they need watering. :bugeye:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2009/0101-thirsty_plants_text_for_help.htm

They must have scoured some bars to get that voice and changed alcohol for water.
I must get one for my mustard and cress.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Heheh, turbo can have his garden call him.

$99 each is too much for me. I'll just keep watering my plants when they start to droop or when the soil feels dry when I stick my finger in.

Most of features aren't useful...
- If I am home, I would prefer some kind of alarm rather than internet messages
- If I am not home, then that's of no use (either internet messages/alarms)

I think it should water itself.

rootX said:
- If I am not home, then that's of no use (either internet messages/alarms)

That's plenty of use, because then you can email your sprinkler.

I just set my plants in a sink full of water on the same day I give my dogs their heartworm medicine. That has the added benefit of washing the dust off the leaves.

And I thought the Serpent was evil...

BobG said:
I just set my plants in a sink full of water on the same day I give my dogs their heartworm medicine. That has the added benefit of washing the dust off the leaves.

LOL, i just think plants should not be kept in captivity.

wolram said:
Crazy about your house plants? well for just $99 each they can call you and tell you they need watering. :bugeye:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2009/0101-thirsty_plants_text_for_help.htm

Technology gone mad is when your plants can make you water them.

1. How do smart house plants text for help when they are thirsty?

Smart house plants are equipped with sensors that can detect when their soil is dry. When this happens, the plant will send a text message to the owner's phone through a connected app or device.

2. Do I need to have a smartphone for smart house plants to work?

Yes, a smartphone is necessary for the smart house plant to send text notifications. The plant's sensors will still function without a smartphone, but the owner will not receive any alerts.

3. Can I customize the frequency of text notifications?

Yes, most smart house plant apps or devices allow you to customize the frequency of text notifications. You can set a specific threshold for when the plant should send a text message, such as when the soil is dry or when it needs water every other day.

4. Are all types of house plants able to send text notifications?

No, not all house plants have the capability to send text messages. Smart house plants are typically specially designed with sensors and technology to communicate with their owners.

5. Is it possible to turn off the text notification feature?

Yes, most smart house plant apps or devices have an option to turn off text notifications. However, it is not recommended as the purpose of the feature is to help owners keep their plants healthy and thriving.