Solving the Schrödinger Equation: Need Help!

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a mathematical expression for the Schrödinger's equation. The first part involves adding two levels of energy and the second part involves finding a solution for the equation. The suggested approach is to return to the Schrödinger's equation and show that the proposed solution satisfies it.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.

I have this problem:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/1561/78854429.jpg

For the first part, I believe that adding those solution is just like adding the two levels of energy they represents and that's way this is not a solution for the equation, I think.

For the second part, I have no idea.
Can I please have some help?

Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When in doubt, return to the mathematical expression for the Schrodinger's equation.

Schrodinger's equation is [tex]\hat H \psi_n = E_n \psi_n[/tex].

In 1D,
[tex]\hat H = \frac{\hbar^2}{2 m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + V(x)[/tex]

As this eigenfunction equation is linear, having the Hamiltonian [tex]\hat H[/tex] act on a superposition of eigenfunctions [tex]\psi_n[/tex] givens a superposition of [tex]\psi_n[/tex] and their corresponding energies.

A similar principle holds for the next part.

Just plug the proposed solution into the Schrödinger's equation and show that it satisfies the equation (both sides are equal).

1. What is the Schrödinger Equation?

The Schrödinger Equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes with time. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to predict the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. Why is the Schrödinger Equation important?

The Schrödinger Equation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It has been used to explain many phenomena in physics, such as the behavior of atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles.

3. How do you solve the Schrödinger Equation?

The Schrödinger Equation can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, perturbation theory, and numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the system being studied and the level of accuracy required.

4. What are the applications of the Schrödinger Equation?

The Schrödinger Equation has many applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of particles in quantum systems, which has led to advancements in technologies such as transistors, lasers, and medical imaging devices.

5. Are there any limitations to the Schrödinger Equation?

While the Schrödinger Equation is a powerful tool for understanding quantum systems, it has some limitations. It does not account for relativistic effects, and it cannot be used to accurately describe the behavior of large systems with many particles. Additionally, it cannot fully explain certain phenomena, such as quantum entanglement, which is still an area of active research.