Moving from Dirac equation to Lagrangian density

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Dirac equation and the Dirac Lagrangian density in quantum field theory. While the Dirac equation is the equation of motion for the Lagrangian, the process of going from the Dirac equation to the Lagrangian is not immediately apparent. The modern point of view is to start with a Lagrangian/action as the fundamental entity from which field equations follow. In this case, the Dirac action is the simplest one that can be written for massive spin-1/2 fields in a Lorentz-invariant action. However, an extra gamma^0 factor must be included in the Lagrangian for it to be related to the Dirac equation through the adjoint
GreyBadger
Hi all,

As a blind follower of QFT from the sidelines (the joys of the woefully inadequate teaching of theory to exp. particle physics students...), I have just realized that I've never actually gone further than deriving the Dirac equation, and then just used the Dirac Lagrangian density as the basis for learning about gauge theories.

What is not clear to me is how to move from the Dirac equation to the Dirac Lagrangian density ([tex]\bar\psi\left(i\gamma^\mu\delta_\mu -m\right)\psi[/tex]). I've been playing around with a few ideas but am getting absolutely nowhere. There is a glib explanation in P&S, but it struck me as somewhat circular and I wasn't convinced at all. Srednicki doesn't cover it either, as far as I can see (I have the former in front of me, the latter on my desk at work...).

Any help welcome!

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're looking for here in order to be satisfied. The Dirac equation is the "equation of motion" for the Lagrangian (upon variation with respect to Psi-bar). This is just variational calculus. Going the other way, you could just look for the Lorentz-invariant Lagrangian that would have the Dirac equation as the eqn of motion. The modern point of view is to start with a Lagrangian/action as the fundamental entity from which field equations follow. In that case, you could ask how could we know to write down the Dirac action. Well if you want massive spin-1/2 fields in a Lorentz-invariant action, the simplest one you can write down is the Dirac action. The building block objects are: [tex]\bar{\Psi}\Psi[/tex] scalar, [tex]\bar{\Psi}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi[/tex] vector, and so on for higher rank tensors.

GreyBadger said:
Hi all,

As a blind follower of QFT from the sidelines (the joys of the woefully inadequate teaching of theory to exp. particle physics students...), I have just realized that I've never actually gone further than deriving the Dirac equation, and then just used the Dirac Lagrangian density as the basis for learning about gauge theories.

What is not clear to me is how to move from the Dirac equation to the Dirac Lagrangian density ([tex]\bar\psi\left(i\gamma^\mu\delta_\mu -m\right)\psi[/tex]). I've been playing around with a few ideas but am getting absolutely nowhere. There is a glib explanation in P&S, but it struck me as somewhat circular and I wasn't convinced at all. Srednicki doesn't cover it either, as far as I can see (I have the former in front of me, the latter on my desk at work...).

Any help welcome!

Cheers.

To go from the "first quantized" form to the "second quantized" form of any single-particle Hamiltonian "h". E.g.,
[tex]
h=-\nabla^2/2m\;,
[/tex]
we introduce position-space particle creation- and annihilation-operators, [itex]\psi^\dagger({\bf x})[/itex] and [itex]\psi({\bf x})[/itex], respectively. These are not wavefunctions.

The second quantized form is then given by
[tex]
\int d^3 x \left(\psi^\dagger({\bf x})(h\psi({\bf x}))\right)\;.
[/tex]

This is so because the action of the above hamiltonian on any N-particle ground state returns the correct first-quantized hamiltonian--in this case
[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^N-\nabla_i^2/2m\;,
[/tex]
and thus the second quantized form is the appropriate generalization to the case where there is a changing number of particles (Fock space).

The above generalizes pretty straightforwardly to any single body hamiltonian (e.g., the dirac equation).

To include interactions is also not too hard. I recommend the book by Lowell Brown on QFT.

Oh... I think I just answered the wrong question. OP is interested in action and lagrangian and I was talking about hamiltonians... ugh. sorry. Again, the answer is in L. Brown's book, thought. check it out. Cheers.

javierR said:
The Dirac equation is the "equation of motion" for the Lagrangian (upon variation with respect to Psi-bar)... Going the other way, you could just look for the Lorentz-invariant Lagrangian that would have the Dirac equation as the eqn of motion.

Thanks for the response. Sure, it is indeed being able to 'go the other way' that is not immediately, uniquely apparent.

javierR said:
The modern point of view is to start with a Lagrangian/action as the fundamental entity from which field equations follow. In that case, you could ask how could we know to write down the Dirac action. Well if you want massive spin-1/2 fields in a Lorentz-invariant action, the simplest one you can write down is the Dirac action. The building block objects are: [tex]\bar{\Psi}\Psi[/tex] scalar, [tex]\bar{\Psi}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi[/tex] vector, and so on for higher rank tensors.

Right, quite happy with this, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks!

If [tex](i\gamma^\mu\delta_\mu -m)\psi=0[/tex] is the Dirac eqn. then as a first guess the Lagrangian would be [tex]\psi^{\dagger}(i\gamma^\mu\delta_\mu -m)\psi[/tex] so that varying with respect to [tex] \psi^{\dagger} [/tex] would give the Dirac eqn. However, that would be wrong and the answer is [tex]\psi^{\dagger}\gamma^{0}(i\gamma^\mu\delta_\mu -m)\psi[/tex]. So an extra gamma^0 got snuck in there for [tex] \psi^{\dagger} [/tex] to be related to [tex]\psi [/tex] by the adjoint operation.

But if you ask yourself why [tex] \psi^{\dagger} [/tex] must be related to [tex]\psi [/tex] by the adjoint, why can't it truly be an independent field instead, then the answer is because you want only one field. Or Hermiticity or something.

I think also the other answer of finding the Hamiltonian first is good, and then doing a Legendre transformation. Finding the conserved energy to find the Lagrangian or something.

1. What is the Dirac equation and why is it important in physics?

The Dirac equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and is important because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of these particles and their interactions with electromagnetic fields. It also led to the prediction of the existence of antimatter.

2. How does the Dirac equation relate to the Lagrangian formalism?

The Dirac equation can be derived from the Lagrangian density, which is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system. The Lagrangian formalism is a powerful tool in theoretical physics that allows us to understand the behavior of a system in terms of its underlying symmetries and conservation laws. In the case of the Dirac equation, the Lagrangian density captures the dynamics of spin-1/2 particles and their interactions with electromagnetic fields.

3. Why is it useful to move from the Dirac equation to the Lagrangian density?

Moving from the Dirac equation to the Lagrangian density allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the underlying physical principles that govern the behavior of spin-1/2 particles. It also allows us to easily extend the formalism to other systems, such as particles with different spin values, by simply modifying the Lagrangian density. Furthermore, the Lagrangian formalism allows for a more elegant and concise description of physical systems compared to other approaches.

4. What are the key steps in deriving the Lagrangian density from the Dirac equation?

The key steps in deriving the Lagrangian density from the Dirac equation involve expressing the Dirac equation in terms of the Dirac spinor, which represents the quantum state of a spin-1/2 particle. The Dirac spinor is then used to construct the Dirac Lagrangian density, which includes terms for the kinetic energy of the particle as well as its interaction with electromagnetic fields. The resulting Lagrangian density is then used to derive the equations of motion for the system.

5. How does the Lagrangian density allow for a more general description of spin-1/2 particles?

The Lagrangian density can be modified to include additional terms that account for different interactions, such as the weak or strong nuclear forces. This allows for a more general description of spin-1/2 particles and their interactions with different fields. Additionally, the Lagrangian formalism can be extended to include other types of particles, such as spin-0 or spin-1 particles, providing a unified framework for describing a wide range of physical systems.