How To Propogate Uncertainties (Angle of Incidence and Angle of Reflection)

In summary, the conversation discusses the propagation of uncertainty in an experiment and two methods for calculating it. The first method involves using the Taylor Series and the second method involves following the international standard outlined in GUM. Both methods are valid and the GUM is recommended for rigorously accurate results.
fs93
Hello fellow physicists :)

I have recently done an experiment and am trying to propagate the uncertainty. Unfortuantely, I haven't done that in years, and need to remember how its done.
For example:

When theta= 20 (+-2)

I want to find sin20 and the uncertainty:

sin20=0.34 (+-?)

How can I find the uncertainty? Do I do this?

sin18=0.31

sin 22=0.37

And subsequently : sin20=0.34 (+-0.03)?

Is this method correct? If not please advise me as to how I should propagate the uncertainties.

Thanks in advance,

FS

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, that's a valid method. I use it often myself.

If you want a rigorously mathematical and more accurate approach, I would recommend using the Taylor Series.

suppose you know the uncertainty in x to be [tex]\delta x[/tex]
you use the taylor expansion of f( x+[tex]\delta x[/tex] ), ignoring terms [tex]O(\delta x^n)[/tex] and higher, you would get the uncertainty in your function(n would depend on the accuracy you need). In your case the variable is theta and the function is the sine function.

suppose you are calculating the error in the neighbourhood of "a":

[tex]
f(a)+\frac {f'(a)}{1!} \delta x + \frac{f''(a)}{2!} \delta x^2+\frac{f^{(3)}(a)}{3!}(\delta x^3)+ \cdots
[/tex]

Thanks both, I was looking for something more like Eldudrino's equation and I will be using it.

Cheers!

FS

elduderino said:
If you want a rigorously mathematical and more accurate approach

Actually, if you want to be very rigourous you should be using whatever mathod is recommended in GUM for you particual situation since you are then following the international standard (you should be a be able to find the GUM as a PDF file if you google ISO GUM, I think there is even a wiki).

GUM is actually quite good as a "howto" manual for cases like this.

1. What is the purpose of propagating uncertainties in the angle of incidence and angle of reflection?

The purpose of propagating uncertainties is to account for the potential errors and variations in measurements of the angle of incidence and angle of reflection. By propagating uncertainties, we can obtain a more accurate representation of the true values of these angles.

2. How do you calculate uncertainties in the angle of incidence and angle of reflection?

Uncertainties in the angle of incidence and angle of reflection can be calculated using the formula: Δθ = Δx/Δy, where Δx is the uncertainty in the measurement of the angle and Δy is the uncertainty in the measurement of the quantity being reflected.

3. What factors can contribute to uncertainties in the angle of incidence and angle of reflection?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainties in these angles, such as limitations in the measuring instrument, human error in reading and recording measurements, and environmental conditions that may affect the accuracy of the measurements.

4. How can uncertainties in the angle of incidence and angle of reflection be minimized?

To minimize uncertainties, it is important to use precise and accurate measuring instruments, take multiple measurements and calculate the average, and ensure that the measurements are taken under controlled and consistent conditions.

5. How do you interpret the propagated uncertainties in the angle of incidence and angle of reflection?

The propagated uncertainties represent the range of possible values for the angle of incidence and angle of reflection. The larger the uncertainty, the less confident we can be in the exact value of the angle. It is important to report both the measured value and the propagated uncertainty to provide a complete understanding of the measurement.