Electrostatic energy of a dielectric sphere

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the electrostatic energy of a neoprene sphere charged with Q if Q is uniformly distributed on the surface. The speaker discussed calculating the displacement field for points in space where r>R and using the expression U= \int \vec{D}.\vec{E} dV. They also mentioned finding the electric field for r>R using the equation D=\epsilonE. However, they were unsure how to find the electric field inside the sphere since D=0 due to the absence of free charges. The conversation ended with the suggestion of assuming neoprene is a linear dielectric and using the equation \textbf{D}=\epsilon\textbf{E} to understand why the electric
libelec
1. Find the electrostatic energy of a neoprene sphere or ratio R, charged with Q if:

a) Q is uniformly distributed in surface

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I can calculate the displacement field (so that I can use the expresion U= [tex]\int \vec{D}.\vec{E} dV[/tex]), but only for those points in space where r>R. Then, given that D=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]E, I can find the electric field for r>R.

But I don't know how to get the electric field inside the sphere, since D=0 there because there're no free charges inside. It could also happen that E doesn't exist inside the sphere either, but I woundn't know the reason why.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?

Does anybody know how I can get P of polarization?

libelec said:
[
So, I can calculate the displacement field (so that I can use the expresion U= [tex]\int \vec{D}.\vec{E} dV[/tex]), but only for those points in space where r>R.

How are you calculating the displacement field? And why can't you calculate it for [itex]r\leq R[/itex]?

Then, given that D=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]E, I can find the electric field for r>R.

doesn't [itex]\epsilon=\epsilon_0[/itex] for [itex]r>R[/itex]?

But I don't know how to get the electric field inside the sphere, since D=0 there because there're no free charges inside. It could also happen that E doesn't exist inside the sphere either, but I woundn't know the reason why.

You've already given the reason why...just assume that neoprene is a linear dielectric, then you know [itex]\textbf{D}=\epsilon\textbf{E}[/itex], so if [itex]\textbf{D}=0[/itex], then so does the electric field!

Yes, thank you. I thought I had to find the polarization vector P.

1. What is electrostatic energy and how is it related to a dielectric sphere?

Electrostatic energy is the potential energy associated with the electric field of a charged object. In the case of a dielectric sphere, the electrostatic energy is the energy stored in the electric field of the sphere due to the presence of a charged particle or particles within the sphere.

2. How is the electrostatic energy of a dielectric sphere calculated?

The electrostatic energy of a dielectric sphere can be calculated using the formula U = (1/2)ε0εr(E0)2V, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the dielectric sphere, E0 is the electric field strength at the surface of the sphere, and V is the volume of the sphere.

3. How does the presence of a dielectric material affect the electrostatic energy of a sphere?

The presence of a dielectric material within a sphere can increase or decrease the electrostatic energy depending on the relative permittivity of the material. A dielectric material with a higher relative permittivity will increase the electrostatic energy, while a material with a lower relative permittivity will decrease it.

4. What factors can affect the electrostatic energy of a dielectric sphere?

The electrostatic energy of a dielectric sphere is affected by several factors, including the charge of the particle within the sphere, the relative permittivity of the dielectric material, the size of the sphere, and the distance between the charged particle and the surface of the sphere.

5. How is the electrostatic energy of a dielectric sphere related to other forms of energy?

The electrostatic energy of a dielectric sphere is a form of potential energy, meaning it is stored energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy. It is also closely related to electric potential energy, which is the energy associated with the position of a charged particle in an electric field.