Proving exp function is bounded and not extended continuously.

In summary: Then, since the exponent is bounded by m=1, can you say f(x,y) is bounded by 0 and e, i.e. when you plug in 1 in the exponent you get e^1 = e?Yes, f(x,y) is bounded by 0 and e in polar coordinates when x=0 and y=0.
cookiesyum

Homework Statement

The function

exp[ (x2 + y2 - xy)/(x2 + y2) ] = f(x,y)

is continuous on the open first quadrant.

Prove it is bounded there.

Prove f cannot be extended continuously to the closed first quadrant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since f is a real-valued function defined and continuous on a compact set (open first quadrant...I think...), then f is bounded..? So I have to show that the open first quadrant is a compact set maybe?

I think I have to show that f is not uniformly continuous on the closed first quadrant. So, there exists an epsilon > 0 where a number d >0 cannot be found such that |f(p) - f(q)| < epsilon whenever p and q are in the closed first quadrant and |p-q|<d.

I have so much trouble starting my proofs properly. I don't know how to set them up at the beginning, even when I know the rough outline.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to check your definition of compact.

can you bound the rational function on the open first quadrant?

Try working with this expression:
[tex]\frac{x^2 + y^2 - xy}{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]
I can't give you much more of a hint than that without essentially doing the problem.

Mark44 said:
Try working with this expression:
[tex]\frac{x^2 + y^2 - xy}{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]
I can't give you much more of a hint than that without essentially doing the problem.

|(x2 + y2 - xy)/(x2 + y2)| = |(r2 - rcosArsinA)/r2)| = |1-cosAsinA| which is bounded by 0 and 1

So f(x,y) is bounded by 1 and e.

Is it enough to show that? Or do I need to use definition of limits...

Also, for the second part, it cannot be extended because x=0=y is a singularity. Does it suffice just to say that or does that not count as a full proof?

You don't need to convert to polar form. How did you conclude that f(x, y) is bounded by 1 and e? Are you saying that all values of f(x, y) on the open first quadrant are between 1 and e? That's not true.

Think division.

Mark44 said:
You don't need to convert to polar form. How did you conclude that f(x, y) is bounded by 1 and e? Are you saying that all values of f(x, y) on the open first quadrant are between 1 and e? That's not true.

Think division.

Ok let me try this again...

|(x2 + y2 - xy)/(x2 + y2)|<or= 1 because you are subtracting xy from the top so something smaller divided by something larger is a fraction less than one.

Then, since the exponent is bounded by m=1, can you say f(x,y) is bounded by 0 and e, i.e. when you plug in 1 in the exponent you get e^1 = e?

For the second part, I THOUGHT I could use the discontinuity x=y=0 but since S is the open first quadrant, can I do that?

I would be inclined to change to polar coordinates.

1. What is the exp function?

The exp function is a mathematical function that represents the exponential growth of a quantity. It is commonly written as exp(x) or e^x, where e is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828.

2. How do you prove that the exp function is bounded?

To prove that the exp function is bounded, we can use the fact that e^x is always positive for any real value of x. Therefore, the exp function is bounded below by 0 and has no upper bound.

3. What does it mean for a function to be extended continuously?

A function is said to be extended continuously if it can be defined for all real numbers and there are no "jumps" or "breaks" in its graph. In other words, the function can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

4. How do you prove that the exp function is not extended continuously?

To prove that the exp function is not extended continuously, we can show that it has a limit at a specific point that is not equal to the value of the function at that point. This means that there is a "jump" or "break" in the graph of the function, indicating that it is not extended continuously.

5. Why is it important to prove that the exp function is bounded and not extended continuously?

Proving that the exp function is bounded and not extended continuously is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and its limitations. This knowledge can be applied in various fields of science, such as physics and economics, where the exp function is commonly used to model growth and decay processes.