Conservation of Kinetic Energy Proof

In summary: Do you want me to do the math for you or just tell you what it is?Energy doesn't have a direction. The kinetic energy of a ball ( its energy due to motion) depends upon its *speed*, i.e. the magnitude of its velocity. So KE = (1/2)mv2, period. The energies of the two balls after the collision must add up to the energy of the que ball before.
Davey Boy
[EDIT]Title is incorrect, it is a proof using Conservation of Energy/Momentum

Homework Statement

You take a pool shot for the win. The perfectly [EDIT]elastic[/EDIT] collision is such that after the collision the Que ball has a non-zero velocity along angle [tex]\theta[/tex], and the 8 ball has a non-zero velocity along angle [tex]\beta[/tex]. Prove that [tex]\theta[/tex]+[tex]\beta[/tex]=90[tex]\circ[/tex]. The two pool balls have exactly the same mass.

Homework Equations

No equations are given, but I am fairly certain only [tex]\Delta[/tex]K=[tex]\Delta[/tex]P=0 is needed. My teacher vaguely hinted that those were the equations/principals he recommend we utilize.

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with 2 equations:
1) [1/2]M*VIQ2=[1/2]M*VFQ2*cos([tex]\theta)[/tex]+[1/2]M*VF82*cos([tex]\beta[/tex])
2) M*VIQ=M*VIQ*cos([tex]\theta)[/tex]+M*VF8cos([tex]\beta[/tex])
I solved for VFQ and plugged that into the 1st equation. After simplifying I got;
2[(VF8cos([tex]\beta[/tex]))(VFQcos([tex]\theta[/tex]))]=0
I figured out that this means one of those variables must be 0.I know that VFQ is not, and VF8 is not, therefore, one of the angles must be equal to 90[tex]\circ[/tex] for that equation to equal 0.
I believe my initial equations are wrong, though i could have easily made an algebraic mistake. Any pointers would be very nice, Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Davey Boy, welcome to PF.

Are you sure that the problem statement shouldn't say "the perfectly elastic collision?" If not, then why are you using conservation of kinetic energy?

Your first equation, (the energy equation), is wrong. Why do you have those cosine factors in there?

cepheid said:
Hi Davey Boy, welcome to PF.

Are you sure that the problem statement shouldn't say "the perfectly elastic collision?" If not, then why are you using conservation of kinetic energy?

Your first equation, (the energy equation), is wrong. Why do you have those cosine factors in there?
It should be elastic rather than inelastic, my mistake. I'll edit that part. I have the cosine factors to account for the angle at which the pool balls are traveling after the collision. I know those are needed for the momentum equation because my teacher did a brief example for 2-D momentum problems, but are they not for kinetic energy?

Davey Boy said:
It should be elastic rather than inelastic, my mistake. I'll edit that part. I have the cosine factors to account for the angle at which the pool balls are traveling after the collision. I know those are needed for the momentum equation because my teacher did a brief example for 2-D momentum problems, but are they not for kinetic energy?

Energy doesn't have a direction. The kinetic energy of a ball ( its energy due to motion) depends upon its *speed*, i.e. the magnitude of its velocity. So KE = (1/2)mv2, period. The energies of the two balls after the collision must add up to the energy of the que ball before.

cepheid said:
Energy doesn't have a direction. The kinetic energy of a ball ( its energy due to motion) depends upon its *speed*, i.e. the magnitude of its velocity. So KE = (1/2)mv2, period. The energies of the two balls after the collision must add up to the energy of the que ball before.
Awesome, that's what I had suspected. Thanks for the help, I'll try that out and get back to you if it works or not.

Thanks to the hint of energy not being a vector, thus not requiring a direction, I was able to find equations for VFQ and VF8. I have no idea what to do now though. The equations I got are:
VFQ=[tex]V_{IQ}(cos\beta-1)/(cos\beta-cos\theta)[/tex]
and
VF8=[tex]V_{IQ}(1-cos\theta)/(cos\beta-cos\theta)[/tex]

Hey, well I noticed that your momentum conservation equation was only for conservation of momentum in one direction. There's also conservation of momentum in the other, perpendicular direction (which gives you another equation to play with). That equation will relate VF8 to VFQ.

1. What is the principle of conservation of kinetic energy?

The principle of conservation of kinetic energy states that the total amount of kinetic energy in a closed system remains constant, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between different forms.

2. How is the conservation of kinetic energy proven?

The conservation of kinetic energy is proven through various experiments and mathematical equations, such as the law of conservation of energy and the work-energy theorem. These show that the total amount of energy in a system, including kinetic energy, remains constant.

3. Can the conservation of kinetic energy be violated?

No, the conservation of kinetic energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed situations. It is a fundamental principle of the universe and cannot be violated.

4. Does the conservation of kinetic energy apply to all forms of energy?

Yes, the conservation of kinetic energy is a part of the larger law of conservation of energy, which applies to all forms of energy in a closed system. This includes potential energy, thermal energy, and other types of energy.

5. Why is the conservation of kinetic energy important?

The conservation of kinetic energy is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It also allows us to design machines and systems that are more efficient and minimize energy losses.