Structural Support for Removing Cross Members in Attic Remodel: Expert Advice

• Thread starter bigrick31
  • Start date
In summary, a person is seeking advice on how to remove cross members in their attic during a remodel. They are an electrician and are concerned about properly supporting the roof. They plan to add two 2x4s and sandwich the red beam with brown beams, but an expert recommends simply shortening the red beam and adding a single beam from the top to the new wall for proper support.
bigrick31
Hello I want to do a little remodel on my homes attic and have a question in regards to removing cross members and how to properly re support the roof in my home. I am not a student I am actually an electrician looking for a little structural advice.

I have two cross beams that I would like to remove but I need to support the roof somehow. My main fear is cutting the supports and having the roof sag a little in that area. The roof is fairly well supported as it is and the beams I want to remove don't seem to be supporting a lot of weight I can take my hand and wiggle the beam a little in either direction.

This is how my roof looks now. This is only about half of my roof just the area that I want to modify. The beam that I want to remove is seen in red.

roof1.png

I would then take and add two 2x4s to the top and bottom of the beam as seen here in blue

Roof2.png

Then I would sandwich part of the red beam along with the blue beams with what is colored here in brown so that the order goes brown beam with blue/red in the middle then another brown beam on the other side so that I can cut away a part of the red beam so that it looks like this.

Roof3.png

Is this the best way to accomplish removing part of that beam or can someone recommend a better way to put new supports in place?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Run a single beam from the current connection point at the top of your existing red beam to the bottom of your new wall indicated by the blue line. No other reinforcement is needed. If you build it out like the picture, you are placing your new blue beam in sheer stress, which is a poor design. All of the weight of the building of the roof is already suspended on 1 point. All you need to do is just shorten the red beam to fit inside your wall. Adding a 2nd support point to the roof is unnecessary. Your design will be weaker than a single beam as described which will then be in the correct compression stress position.

1. What is a crossmember and what is its purpose?

A crossmember is a structural component used in the construction of a frame or chassis. Its main purpose is to provide rigidity and support to the frame, ensuring that it can withstand the weight and stress of the vehicle.

2. How is a crossmember installed in a vehicle?

A crossmember is typically installed during the initial construction of a vehicle frame. It is attached to the frame using bolts, welds, or a combination of both. The placement and design of the crossmember may vary depending on the specific vehicle and its intended use.

3. What materials are commonly used for crossmember framing?

The most commonly used materials for crossmember framing are steel, aluminum, and composite materials. Steel is the most traditional and widely used due to its strength and affordability. Aluminum is lighter but also more expensive, while composite materials offer a balance of strength and weight savings.

4. How does a crossmember affect the overall performance of a vehicle?

A crossmember is an important structural component that can greatly affect the overall performance of a vehicle. It provides rigidity and stability to the frame, which impacts the handling, stability, and safety of the vehicle. A well-designed crossmember can also help distribute weight evenly, improving the overall balance of the vehicle.

5. Can a crossmember be replaced or modified?

Yes, a crossmember can be replaced or modified if necessary. However, it is important to consult with a professional to ensure that the replacement or modification does not compromise the structural integrity of the vehicle. Any changes to the crossmember should also be made in accordance with safety regulations and standards.