Good software for analyzing STM images?

In summary, the speaker has recently completed a lab using Scanning Tunneling Microscopy and now has 50 ".ezd" files to analyze. They are seeking software to analyze the images, as the software provided by Nanosurf and WSxM does not have the desired features. The speaker is open to recommendations and someone suggests Gwyddion, which is free and has the desired features.
quarky2001
I've finished a lab with Scanning Tunneling Microscopy in an upper level physics undergrad course, and now I have about 50 ".ezd" files to analyze. They were produced with the Nanosurf easyScan microscope, which I'm told is quite common in very basic applications.

I'm looking for some software to analyze these images with. Nanosurf's software leaves a lot to be desired, and WSxM is unable to measure angles, distances, etc.

Can anyone recommend some good software? I know there is a lot out there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried Gwyddion. I think this one is good and also free.
I think it has the features you are looking for.

1. What is the best software for analyzing STM images?

There are a few popular software options for analyzing STM images, such as Gwyddion, WSxM, and ImageJ. Ultimately, the best software will depend on your specific needs and preferences.

2. Is there free software available for analyzing STM images?

Yes, there are several free software options for analyzing STM images, such as Gwyddion, WSxM, and ImageJ. These programs are open-source and can be downloaded for free.

3. Can I use image processing software for analyzing STM images?

Yes, most image processing software, such as ImageJ or Photoshop, can be used for analyzing STM images. However, they may not have specialized features for STM analysis, so it is best to use software specifically designed for STM analysis.

4. What are the key features to look for in software for analyzing STM images?

Some key features to look for in software for analyzing STM images include the ability to view and manipulate data in multiple dimensions, the ability to perform Fourier transforms and other advanced image processing techniques, and compatibility with a variety of file formats.

5. Can I analyze STM images with software on my own computer?

Yes, most software for analyzing STM images can be downloaded and installed on a personal computer. However, keep in mind that STM images can be large and may require a powerful computer for optimal analysis.