IR stereo remote strange behaviour

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ir Strange
In summary: If it's silicone (and not rubber), it's usually silicone oil from not being properly baked out. I've washed the pads (and underlying PCB) in hot water and detergent (make sure the final rinse is in deionized or distilled water) to remove the silicone oil. Make sure that non-washable components, like speakers and/or microphones, are properly sealed, or don't wash them! Barring that, scrubbing down the pad/PCB in isopropanol (a.k.a. rubbing alcohol) works pretty well.I bought a rubber keypad repair kit from MG Chemicals, and I probably applied a little too much of the conductive epoxy, as the
DaveC426913
Gold Member
My stereo remote has begun exhibiting strange behaviour. If I use the Power button to turn it on (or off), it will continue to do so for as much as 30 seconds.

i.e.:
- I point the remote at the stereo and press Power, stereo turns on (the on/off cycle on my stereo takes a good 4-5 seconds)
- stereo turns off again
- stereo turns on again
- stereo turns off again
(I have not yet touched the Power button a second time)
- I bury the remote in the couch, stereo remains off
- I pull the remote out and repoint it at the stereo (I still have not yet touched the Power button a second time)
- stereo turns on again
- stereo turns off again
- etc.

This would makes sense if the IR signal that powers the stereo on/off were analogue and continuous. (If the signal came on and stayed on, it makes sense that the stereo would keep cycling).

But I thought that the signals were digital (a coded sequence of flashes). In order for the stereo to do doing what it's doing, that means the remote is busted in a way that is causing it to send the sequence over and over again.

(Hm... unless there's nothing wrong with the electronics - if the button on the remote were stuck on, that would explain it...)

Physics news on Phys.org
For the love of God why can't you just admit there's a PARANORMAL FORCE AT WORK?

My tv remote used to do that. A good smashing fixed it :)

Note: I'm not saying a good smashing will fix yours, so if you break it I'm not liable :p

Tried replacing the batteries? I've seen electronics act screwy when the battery was low. My honest opinion? Paranormal activity. They make entire paranormal reality tv shows based on much less.

Evo said:
Tried replacing the batteries? I've seen electronics act screwy when the battery was low. My honest opinion? Paranormal activity. They make entire paranormal reality tv shows based on much less.

that's the first thing i'd try, tho usually, low batteries means reduced output for me and having to press the thing several times, get the angle just right, etc.

also, sticky keys?

After my grandmother died, my stereo behaved in a similar way, so I'm guessing yours is haunted.

Damn, the matrix is on the fritz again

I'm going to be up all night fixing this one

Office_Shredder said:
Damn, the matrix is on the fritz again

I'm going to be up all night fixing this one
:rofl:

I say this thread belongs in skep & debunking, Evo, time to move this one ? :biggrin:

Rhody...

To Scepticism & Debunking then.

My 12 yo daughter is hooked on the various versions of Ghost Hunters and believes they're real. When I watch it I try to figure out how they modified the house to create the effects. She hates it when I explain the effects.

skeptic2 said:
To Scepticism & Debunking then.

My 12 yo daughter is hooked on the various versions of Ghost Hunters and believes they're real. When I watch it I try to figure out how they modified the house to create the effects. She hates it when I explain the effects.

... Dude, my MOTHER is hooked up on those. Especially TAPS.

I find remotes usually go wrong because a conductive rubber sheet used in the construction of the keypad seems to attract moisture. It can become quite wet.

You have to pull it apart - which is often difficult without breaking it, then separate out the black (sometimes grey) rubber membrane (which will be very obviously wet) and gently clean it with a tissue. It's very fragile.

AJ Bentley said:
I find remotes usually go wrong because a conductive rubber sheet used in the construction of the keypad seems to attract moisture. It can become quite wet.

You have to pull it apart - which is often difficult without breaking it, then separate out the black (sometimes grey) rubber membrane (which will be very obviously wet) and gently clean it with a tissue. It's very fragile.

If it's silicone (and not rubber), it's usually silicone oil from not being properly baked out. I've washed the pads (and underlying PCB) in hot water and detergent (make sure the final rinse is in deionized or distilled water) to remove the silicone oil. Make sure that non-washable components, like speakers and/or microphones, are properly sealed, or don't wash them! Barring that, scrubbing down the pad/PCB in isopropanol (a.k.a. rubbing alcohol) works pretty well.

I bought a rubber keypad repair kit from MG Chemicals, and I probably applied a little too much of the conductive epoxy, as the phones I repaired occasionally have stuck buttons (much like your remote). What ends up happening is that the excess conductive epoxy bridges the contacts on the PCB itself. Usually, whenever this happens, I just disassemble the phone, and wipe down the offending PCB regions with isopropanol.

Oh yes, rubber keypad repair kit:
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/8339.html [Broken]

I liked it better than the one from Chemtronics as it was cheaper, and not single-use:
http://www.chemtronics.com/products/product.asp?r=1&m=2&id=32 [Broken]

EDIT: As per AJ Bentley's suggestion, treat the membrane gently, but the PCB should be a little more resilient! I generally just use my cleaning (i.e. not for my teeth) toothbrush for both.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is IR stereo remote strange behaviour?

IR stereo remote strange behaviour refers to any unexpected or unusual actions or responses from an infrared (IR) remote control used to operate a stereo system.

2. Why is my IR stereo remote not working properly?

There could be several reasons why an IR stereo remote is not working properly. Some possible causes include low battery power, obstructions blocking the IR signal, or a malfunctioning remote or stereo system. It is also possible that the remote and stereo system are not compatible.

3. How can I troubleshoot my IR stereo remote?

To troubleshoot an IR stereo remote, start by checking the batteries and replacing them if necessary. Next, make sure there are no obstructions blocking the IR signal between the remote and the stereo system. If the issue persists, try resetting the remote and/or the stereo system. If none of these solutions work, the remote or stereo system may need to be replaced.

4. Can interference affect the performance of my IR stereo remote?

Yes, interference can disrupt the IR signal and affect the performance of an IR stereo remote. This can be caused by external sources such as other electronic devices or sunlight. Moving the remote closer to the stereo system or blocking out external light sources can help improve the signal and reduce interference.

5. How do I prevent strange behaviour from my IR stereo remote in the future?

To prevent strange behaviour from an IR stereo remote, it is important to regularly maintain and clean both the remote and the stereo system. This includes replacing batteries, clearing any obstructions, and cleaning the IR sensor on both the remote and the stereo system. It is also important to use the remote within its recommended operating range and to avoid any potential interference sources.