How to Calculate Net Heat Transfer in an Isochoric Process

In summary, the problem involves a transfer of shaft work to an air-filled piston-cylinder device. The initial and final states of the air are given, and the process is likely isobaric. To solve the problem, you need to calculate the change in internal energy using the ideal gas equation and then subtract the shaft work to find the net heat transfer. The specific heat capacity of the air is needed for this calculation.
James.1809
Hi, I'm really struggling with a thermodynamics coursework question, I'm not looking for the answer straight up, just wondering how to go about solving the problem as it's been racking my brain for a stupid amount of time. Here's the problem I've been given:

Shaft work (500kJ/kg) is transferred to an air-filled frictionless piston-cylinder device. Determine the net heat transfer (kJ/kg) if the initial state of the air is T1=200C, P1=400kPa and the final state of the air is T2=250C.

See the attachment for a diagram of the cylinder in question. I'm not sure whether to assume if the process is isochoric and if so, the internal energy's equal to the heat transferred, but to work that out I need to know the specific heat capacity of the air. It's got me stumped!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• cylinder.jpg
    cylinder.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you need to do is to identify the process. Since there is no mention of a change in volume, it is likely that the process is isobaric (constant pressure). This means that the work done on the air is equal to the change in internal energy, i.e. W = ΔU. Since the initial and final temperatures are given, you can calculate the change in internal energy using the ideal gas equation of state: ΔU = mCv(T2-T1) where m is the mass of the air, Cv is the specific heat capacity at constant volume and T2 and T1 are the final and initial temperatures, respectively. Once you have calculated the change in internal energy, you can then calculate the net heat transfer by subtracting the shaft work from the change in internal energy: Qnet = ΔU - W Hope this helps!

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of the relationships between heat, work, and energy. It explains how energy is transferred and transformed in various systems, including chemical reactions, engines, and physical processes.

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of exchanging thermal energy between two or more objects that are at different temperatures. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a pure, perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of molecules in a substance. In other words, heat is the movement of thermal energy, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of that energy.

How does heat transfer affect the environment?

Heat transfer plays a crucial role in regulating the Earth's temperature and climate. The transfer of heat from the sun to the Earth through radiation and convection helps maintain a suitable temperature for life to exist. Human activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels, can also contribute to changes in the Earth's heat transfer processes, leading to global warming and climate change.