Probability current of dirac equation with vector potential

In summary, the current in the given scenario can be found by substituting the minimal substitution in the Dirac equation and using the expanded form of the probability current. Simplifying and rearranging the terms leads to the final expression for the current.
tobias_

Homework Statement

Given the probability/energyprobability current of the dirac equation
[tex]j^\mu=\Psi^{+}\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi[/tex] with continuity equation [tex]\partial_\mu j^\mu = 0[/tex]
I need to find the current when there is an additional vector potential, introduced via minimal substitution [tex]\partial_{\mu}\rightarrow\partial_{\mu}+\frac{ie}{\hbar}A_{\mu}[/tex]

Homework Equations

* Dirac Equation [tex](i\hbar\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}-mc)\Psi=0[/tex]
* Probability Current [tex]j^{\mu}=\Psi^{+}\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi[/tex]
* Continuity Equation [tex]\partial_\mu j^\mu = 0[/tex]
* Minimal Substitution [tex]\partial_{\mu}\rightarrow\partial_{\mu}+\frac{ie}{\hbar}A_{\mu}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to make an ansatz [tex]j^{\mu}=\Psi^{+}(\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}+\alpha A^{\mu})\Psi[/tex] that didn't really work out. So I hope someone can help :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would be happy to assist you with finding the current in the given scenario. Based on the equations provided, we can approach this problem using the following steps:

1. Substitute the minimal substitution in the Dirac equation:
(i\hbar\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}-mc)\Psi=0
becomes
(i\hbar\gamma^{\mu}(\partial_{\mu}+\frac{ie}{\hbar}A_{\mu})-mc)\Psi=0

2. Use the expanded form of the probability current:
j^{\mu}=\Psi^{+}\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi
j^{\mu}=\Psi^{+}(\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi)+\Psi^{+}(\alpha\gamma^{0}A^{\mu}\Psi)

3. Substitute the Dirac equation in the first term of the expanded current:
j^{\mu}=\Psi^{+}(\frac{i}{\hbar}(\partial_{\mu}+\frac{ie}{\hbar}A_{\mu})\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi)+\Psi^{+}(\alpha\gamma^{0}A^{\mu}\Psi)

4. Simplify and rearrange the terms to get the final expression for the current:
j^{\mu}=\frac{i}{\hbar}(\Psi^{+}\partial_{\mu}\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi)+\frac{ie}{\hbar}(\Psi^{+}\gamma^{0}A_{\mu}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi)+\Psi^{+}(\alpha\gamma^{0}A^{\mu}\Psi)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the probability current in the Dirac equation?

The probability current in the Dirac equation is a mathematical quantity that describes the flow of probability density in space and time. It is represented by the symbol J and is defined as the product of the probability density and the velocity of the particle.

2. How is the probability current affected by a vector potential?

The presence of a vector potential in the Dirac equation affects the probability current by introducing an additional term in the expression for J. This term takes into account the interaction between the particle and the electromagnetic field represented by the vector potential.

3. What is the physical significance of the probability current in the Dirac equation?

The probability current is a physically meaningful quantity as it represents the flow of probability density, which is related to the chances of finding a particle at a particular location in space and time. It is useful in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions with the surrounding environment.

4. How is the probability current related to the conservation of probability in the Dirac equation?

The conservation of probability is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, which states that the total probability of finding a particle in all possible locations must remain constant over time. The probability current in the Dirac equation satisfies this principle, as the divergence of J is equal to the negative of the time derivative of the probability density, ensuring that the total probability remains conserved.

5. How is the probability current calculated in the Dirac equation?

The probability current in the Dirac equation is calculated using the formalism of quantum field theory, which involves solving the Dirac equation with the inclusion of the vector potential. The resulting expression for J involves complex mathematical terms, but can be simplified for specific cases such as a particle with no external forces acting on it.