Potential of Concentric Cylindrical Insulator and Conducting Shell

In summary, the potential at point R is 2klambda(ln(58 cm)), and the potential at point P is 2klambda(ln(.58 meters)).
scef333
Potential of Concentric Cylindrical Insulator and Conducting Shell...Please Help

Homework Statement

An infinitely long solid insulating cylinder of radius a = 3.6 cm is positioned with its symmetry axis along the z-axis as shown. The cylinder is uniformly charged with a charge density ρ = 40 μC/m3. Concentric with the cylinder is a cylindrical conducting shell of inner radius b = 18.9 cm, and outer radius c = 23.9 cm. The conducting shell has a linear charge density λ = -0.4μC/m. An infinitely long solid insulating cylinder of radius a = 3.6 cm is positioned with its symmetry axis along the z-axis as shown. The cylinder is uniformly charged with a charge density ρ = 40 μC/m3. Concentric with the cylinder is a cylindrical conducting shell of inner radius b = 18.9 cm, and outer radius c = 23.9 cm. The conducting shell has a linear charge density λ = -0.4μC/m.

Homework Equations

What is Ey(R), the y-component of the electric field at point R, located a distance d = 58 cm from the origin along the y-axis as shown?

What is V(P) – V(R), the potential difference between points P and R? Point P is located at (x,y) = (58 cm, 58 cm).

What is V(c) - V(a), the potentital difference between the outer surface of the conductor and the outer surface of the insulator?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble converting the charge density ρ = 40 μC/m3 and λ = -0.4μC/m to Q in order to find the electric field at point R due to the insulating and conducting cylinders. Please let me know what you think. There is a diagram attached.

Attachments

• problem 4 image.png
    problem 4 image.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 2,031
Physics news on Phys.org

I am also stuck on this problem, have you figured it out yet?

To get the E field, you need to manipulate the volume density. Say p = volume density.

We need to get two lambdas so we can use the equation E = 2k(lambda cylinder + lambda shell)/r

Where r is equal to the distance of the point. To get the linear density of the cylinder, whose p is 40, we need to multiply p by the area of the cylinder (just the circle, ignore length).

Then you plug the new lambda value into the E field equation and you have the E field. The rest should be pretty easy if you understand potential.

I'm also in this class (U of I, PHYS 212), if you guys want to get in contact about future homework, feel free.

Thanks I understand what you did there, but I am still confused as to how to get the potential at points R and P. Could you please explain how to get those values.

scef333 said:
Thanks I understand what you did there, but I am still confused as to how to get the potential at points R and P. Could you please explain how to get those values.

Ok, so your equation E = 2k(lambda)/r must be integrated over the right distance to find potential.

So the potential at point R is 2klambda(ln(r)), where r is equal to .58 meters.

Potential at point P is the same thing, but with a different radius since it is at (.58, .58) (hint: use Pythagorean theorem).

After you find those two, subtract.

Hey I was just wondering how you did part 3 of V(c)-V(a) because I tried to do it like in part 2 but it didn't work and I'm really stuck on this.

1. What is the purpose of using a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell in an electrical system?

The purpose of using a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell is to provide insulation and protection to the electrical components within the system. The insulator prevents the flow of electric current, while the conducting shell acts as a shield against external interference.

2. How does the potential of a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell affect the overall performance of an electrical system?

The potential of a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell plays a crucial role in maintaining the stability and efficiency of an electrical system. It helps in controlling the flow of electric current and preventing any potential breakdowns or malfunctions.

3. Can the potential of a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell be adjusted?

Yes, the potential of a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell can be adjusted by altering the charge or voltage applied to the system. This can be done through various methods, such as changing the distance between the insulator and shell, or by using a variable power source.

4. Are there any limitations to using a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell?

While a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell can greatly improve the performance of an electrical system, there are certain limitations to consider. These include the maximum voltage and current capacity of the insulator and shell, as well as the potential for leakage or breakdown at high temperatures or under extreme conditions.

5. How does the potential of a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell compare to other insulation methods?

The potential of a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell is generally higher than other insulation methods, such as using a single insulating material. This is because the combination of the insulator and shell creates a stronger barrier against external interference and provides better control over the flow of electric current.