Converting Moles of Iron to kg: Net Charge Calculation

• Thread starter pat666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ir Moles
In summary, the conversation discusses the mass of a piece of solid iron containing 2.5 moles of atoms, and the net charge of the iron if one atom in 10^12 is missing one electron. The correct atomic mass for iron is 192.22u, resulting in a mass of 480.55g, not 139.6g as originally stated. The confusion may have stemmed from the abbreviation for iron being Fe, not Ir.
pat666

Homework Statement

A piece of solid Iron contains 2.5moles of atoms. Whats its mass? suppose one atom in 10^12 were missing one electron, what would be the net charge of the iron?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

atomic mass 192.22u
so mass should be 2.5*192.22 = 480.55g but the answer is 139.6g. I suck at chem and don't have a clue where I went wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So I did, what the element Ir then?

Why Ir? Read the text, it is about Iron.

ehild

Yeah I was thinking that Ir was Iron that's where I got the bad value from.

Ir is Iridium, Iron is Fe (Ferrum).

ehild

1. How do I convert moles of iron to kilograms?

To convert moles of iron to kilograms, you will need to use the molar mass of iron, which is 55.85 g/mol. Multiply the number of moles of iron by the molar mass and you will get the mass in grams. Then, divide the mass in grams by 1000 to get the mass in kilograms.

2. What is the formula for calculating net charge in a chemical reaction?

The formula for calculating net charge is: Net Charge = Total Positive Charge - Total Negative Charge. This means you need to add up all the positive charges and subtract all the negative charges to get the net charge.

3. Can I use any unit of measurement for converting moles of iron to kilograms?

No, it is important to use consistent units of measurement when converting between moles and mass. The molar mass of iron is given in grams per mole, so it is best to use grams and kilograms for mass measurements.

4. Why is it important to calculate the net charge in a chemical reaction?

Calculating the net charge in a chemical reaction is important because it allows us to determine the overall charge of the reactants and products. This can help us understand the nature of the reaction and predict its outcome.

5. Is there a difference between net charge and oxidation state?

Yes, there is a difference between net charge and oxidation state. Net charge is the overall charge of an atom or molecule, while oxidation state is a measure of an atom's electron loss or gain in a chemical reaction. They are related, but not the same.