How does wireless data transfer speed impact UAV navigation?

In summary, the conversation is about a software control system for UAV navigation with visual terrain rendering. The issue being discussed is the delay factor in wireless datalinks and whether they operate at the speed of light. The expert explains that radio waves do propagate at the speed of light, but this can still be a significant delay factor, especially over long distances. The example of NASA's probes and robots being autonomous due to time delay is given. The original poster thanks the expert for reminding them of the distance issue and acknowledges the added difficulty due to varying distances and the UAV's flight velocity.
jakesee
Hi,

I am working on a software control system with visual terrain rendering for UAV navigation.

I am new at this, and I have some issues not clear with regard to signals.

Can anyone tell me if all wireless datalinks (at least for existing tech) are at speed of light?
And if it is true, then the only delay factor to consider is the processing/frame rate of the computer and bandwidth transmission time?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, the radio waves in a wireless system always propagate at the speed of light (radio waves ARE light, just at a much lower frequency than visual light).
However, this does not mean that this is not a significant delay factor at large distances. The speed of light is high, but it is not THAT high if you consider the speed of a modern DSP. c is 3e8 m/s; meaning it takes 10 microseconds for a signal to travel to and from a UAV that is 1.5km away; this can certainly be significant.

Btw; this is the reason why probes and robots that are sent to other planets by NASA and co need to be somewhat autonomous; it is literally impossible to control them directly due to the time delay; and this will always be true regardless of how fast the computers are.

Thanks for your reply.

I totally forgot about the distance issue when I posted. Thanks for reminding.
Also, i think now the problem becomes even more difficult because of varying distancings considering the flight velocity of UAV... sigh.

Thanks.

What is wireless data transfer speed?

Wireless data transfer speed refers to the rate at which data can be transmitted wirelessly between devices. It is measured in bits per second (bps) and is a crucial factor in determining the efficiency and speed of wireless communication.

What factors affect wireless data transfer speed?

There are several factors that can affect wireless data transfer speed, including the type of wireless technology being used, the distance between devices, interference from other electronic devices, and the quality of the wireless signal.

How does wireless data transfer speed differ from wired data transfer speed?

Wireless data transfer speed is typically slower than wired data transfer speed due to the limitations of wireless technology and the potential for interference. Wired data transfer speed is generally more consistent and reliable, as it does not rely on a wireless connection.

What is the maximum wireless data transfer speed currently achievable?

The maximum wireless data transfer speed currently achievable is 100 gigabits per second (Gbps) using Wi-Fi 6 technology. However, this speed is highly dependent on various factors and may not be achievable in real-world scenarios.

How can I improve my wireless data transfer speed?

To improve wireless data transfer speed, you can try moving closer to the wireless router or access point, reducing interference from other electronic devices, upgrading to a newer and faster wireless technology, and optimizing your network settings and configurations.