Wanted: Equation for Distance Traveled Given Time

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving a crate with an initial mass of 34.0 at rest on a warehouse floor. The problem asks for the acceleration produced and the distance the crate travels in 14.0 seconds. The solution involves using calculus to find the final position after 14.0 seconds at a constant acceleration. The conversation ends with the individual expressing their gratitude for the help and using calculus to solve the problem.
iamhumble
Hi --

I know this is so easy but right now I am a box of rocks. I think I am doing too much calculus and physics problems and just can not think of the simple things.

What I am trying to do is solve this problem.

Problem:

A crate with mass 34.0 initially at rest on a warehouse floor is acted on by a net horizontal force of 140

1) What acceleration is produced?

Answer is 4.12 m/s^2

2) How far does the crate travel in 14.0 s?

I know the initial position is 0 since the crate is at rest, and the acceleration is constant here so I need to figure the final position after 14.0 seconds at this acceleration.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Google saved the day for me.

x = v_i(t) + .5a(t^2)

well d^2(x)/dt^2 = a right?
integrate once to get dx/dt = at + c . We know v(0) = 0 since it was initially at rest dx/dt = at

integrate again to get position: x(t) = 1/2*a*t^2 + c. we can use the original starting point as x(0) = 0 so c = 0

You are given a time and an acceleration so... plug it in. Don't worry it happens to the best of us (me not being the best but shrug)

thanks for the calculus approach. i think now i can remember what to do using calculus :smile:

1. What is the equation for calculating distance traveled given time?

The equation for calculating distance traveled given time is: Distance = Speed x Time. This means that the distance traveled is equal to the product of the speed and the time taken to travel that distance.

2. How do you use the equation for distance traveled given time?

To use the equation, you need to know the speed at which an object is traveling and the time it takes to cover that distance. Plug those values into the equation and solve for distance.

3. Can the equation for distance traveled given time be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the equation can be used for any type of motion as long as the speed is constant. This includes both linear and circular motion.

4. Is the equation for distance traveled given time affected by changes in speed?

Yes, the distance traveled will change if the speed changes. The equation takes into account the speed of the object, so any changes in speed will result in a different distance traveled.

5. Can the equation for distance traveled given time be used for objects with changing speeds?

No, the equation only works for objects with constant speeds. If the speed is changing, the equation will not give an accurate measure of distance traveled.