RLC circuits and phase angle

In summary, doctors found that by not prescribing antibiotics for everything, the children's health improved.
brollysan

Homework Statement

I am given a RLC circuit in series with a fully charged C. There is no applied voltage at this part of the problem.

Using kirchhoff I arrive at a second order diff.eq which leads me to the (correct) solution for the charge in the capacitor: q(t) = Q0exp(-t/T)cos(wt + Ø)

Now I am to derive an expression for the current in the circuit.

I am also given I(0) = 0, and q(0) = 1. T and W are known. The problem here is finding I(t) for the circuit, I have no clue what to do with the phase angle Ø.

Homework Equations

Unknowns are Q0 and Ø

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that since all elements are in series the current is equal everywhere, and that I(t) = dq/dt.

I know that if the circuit is driven the current/voltage is out of phase over the RLC. But this is not driven, what happens to the phase? If someone could clarify the physics of the phase in a driven and undriven RLC I would greatly appreciate it.

I can make the math work but the expression for I(t) is looking very with a cos(wt + atan(ugly expression)).

Physics news on Phys.org
brollysan said:

Homework Statement

I am given a RLC circuit in series with a fully charged C. There is no applied voltage at this part of the problem.

Using kirchhoff I arrive at a second order diff.eq which leads me to the (correct) solution for the charge in the capacitor: q(t) = Q0exp(-t/T)cos(wt + Ø)

Now I am to derive an expression for the current in the circuit.

I am also given I(0) = 0, and q(0) = 1. T and W are known. The problem here is finding I(t) for the circuit, I have no clue what to do with the phase angle Ø.

Homework Equations

Unknowns are Q0 and Ø

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that since all elements are in series the current is equal everywhere, and that I(t) = dq/dt.

I know that if the circuit is driven the current/voltage is out of phase over the RLC. But this is not driven, what happens to the phase? If someone could clarify the physics of the phase in a driven and undriven RLC I would greatly appreciate it.

I can make the math work but the expression for I(t) is looking very with a cos(wt + atan(ugly expression)).

I think you need one or more of the following equations:

[tex]I(t) = C \frac{dV_C(t)}{dt}[/tex] current through a capacitor

[tex]V_L(t) = L \frac{dI(t)}{dt}[/tex] voltage across an inductor

Well

With T = 2L/R and W = sqrt [(R/2L)^2 - 1/LC]

Since q(t) = Q0exp(-t/T)cos(wt + Ø), and q(0) = 1 then =>

a: 1 = Q0cos(Ø)

then dq/dt = I(t) and I(t=0) = 0 =>

b: dq/dt = Q0[(-1/T)*exp(-t/T)*cos(wt +Ø) - wexp(-t/T)sin(wt +Ø)] which implies:

0 = (-1/T)*cos(Ø) - w*sin(Ø) => Ø = atan(-1/wT)

No we have a solution for Q0 and Ø, so we should have a known expression for I(t) but the problem is that if you insert for Q0 and Ø in the equation for I(t) you get something very ugly and something dependant on the phase Ø.

Now my problem is that although this makes mathematic sense is this correct in a physical since? I am to later in the assigment compare this with a numerical solution with L = 1, C = 1 og R = 0.2 (dimensionless) but you can already see that the phase will become imaginery for the analytic solution.

Edit: Actually atan doesn't make sense for an imaginery number..

What does that mean? If the current/voltage is out of phase over a component in the circuit, is it also out of phase in the wiring in between? I(t) is the same everywhere in a series so if they are out of phase in the wiring this implies that the voltage is also constant?

There is no added voltage to the circuit btw, it is just a charged capacitor.

Last edited:
Current and voltage are out of phase at the reactive components L & C, per the differential equations in my previous post. I and V are in phase at the resistor R.

brollysan said:
a: 1 = Q0cos(Ø)

Ø = atan(-1/wT)

You got these two equations for Q0 and Ø, and the expression for I=dq/dt

I =Q0[(-1/T)*exp(-t/T)*cos(wt +Ø) - wexp(-t/T)sin(wt +Ø)].

You know that Ø=-atan(1/(wT)), that is tan(Ø)=-1/(wT). Use the relation between cosine and tangent to get cos(Ø):

cos(Ø)=√[1/(1+tan2(Ø))]

ehild

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and form a closed loop for the flow of electricity. RLC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices and can exhibit different behaviors depending on the values of the components and the frequency of the input signal.

2. What is the phase angle in an RLC circuit?

The phase angle in an RLC circuit refers to the phase difference between the voltage and current in the circuit. It is measured in degrees or radians and represents the relationship between the two waveforms. The phase angle can be positive or negative, indicating whether the current leads or lags behind the voltage. It is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of RLC circuits.

3. How is the phase angle calculated in an RLC circuit?

The phase angle in an RLC circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law and the impedance of the circuit. The impedance is a measure of the total opposition to the flow of electricity in the circuit and is calculated by adding the resistive, inductive, and capacitive components. The phase angle can then be calculated as the inverse tangent of the ratio of the inductive and capacitive reactances.

4. What are the different types of phase angles in RLC circuits?

There are three types of phase angles that can occur in RLC circuits: leading, lagging, and zero. A leading phase angle means that the current leads the voltage in the circuit, while a lagging phase angle means that the current lags behind the voltage. A zero phase angle occurs when the current and voltage are in phase, meaning they have the same frequency and amplitude.

5. How does the frequency affect the phase angle in an RLC circuit?

The frequency of the input signal in an RLC circuit can greatly affect the phase angle. At a certain frequency known as the resonant frequency, the phase angle becomes zero and the circuit behaves like a purely resistive circuit. At other frequencies, the phase angle can be positive or negative, indicating the relationship between the current and voltage. The phase angle can also change with frequency due to the changing values of the inductive and capacitive reactances.