Uniform electric field paralell plates

In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of uniform fields and disproving it with Coulomb's law. The person's logic was correct but their understanding of uniform fields may have been incorrect.
marmeduke
hi, I've just been reading a bit of physics to get myself ready to do a degree after a year of not a lot and was looking at uniform fields so i tried to prove that infinite plates have a uniform field however i seem to have disproved it with coulombs law. here's my logic, please explain the fault.
looking at the a particle in the field separation of d from the plates (in the middle) the field due to each plate is 2kq/(d^2), now looking at it where the distance is say d/2,3d/2 now we get the field as 4kq/d^2+4kq/9d^2 which is obiviously much larger. the only thing which i can see i may have done wrong is treat the plates as point charges however i can't see how this is a problem because if you take the plates to be infinite then you integrate to find the force from the plates which is acting then it is a scalar multiple of the original force. i hope someone understands this and thank you for taking the time to read this :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic is correct in that if we look at the field at two different distances from an infinite plate, then the field will be different. However, this does not disprove the idea that the field is uniform, because the uniform field is referring to the field strength at a given distance from the plate. If you measure the field strength at a certain distance from the plate, it will be uniform no matter what shape or size the plate is.

1. What is a uniform electric field between parallel plates?

A uniform electric field between parallel plates is a type of electric field where the electric field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other. This occurs when two flat plates with opposite charges are placed parallel to each other. The strength of the electric field is constant throughout the space between the plates.

2. How is the strength of a uniform electric field between parallel plates calculated?

The strength of a uniform electric field between parallel plates is calculated by dividing the magnitude of the charge on one plate by the distance between the plates. This is known as the electric field strength and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

3. What is the direction of the electric field between parallel plates?

The direction of the electric field between parallel plates is from the positively charged plate to the negatively charged plate. This means that the electric field lines point away from the positive plate and towards the negative plate.

4. What is the purpose of using parallel plates in an electric field?

The purpose of using parallel plates in an electric field is to create a uniform electric field. This allows for easier calculations and more controlled experiments. Additionally, parallel plates are used in devices such as capacitors and particle accelerators.

5. How does the distance between the parallel plates affect the strength of the electric field?

The distance between the parallel plates directly affects the strength of the electric field. As the distance between the plates increases, the strength of the electric field decreases. This is because the distance is in the denominator of the calculation for electric field strength, meaning that a larger distance results in a smaller value for electric field strength.