Installing Modnum with Scicoslab

• Thread starter skippy1729
  • Start date
Modnum into Scicoslab. In summary, to successfully install Modnum for use with Scicoslab, you will need to download the source package and run the "builder.sce" file. Then, copy the modnum directory into the scicoslab contrib directory and edit the loader.sce file to load the modnum blocks and palettes. Make sure to also install any necessary packages and dependencies.
skippy1729
I am having problems installing Modnum for use with Scicoslab.

I am using Ubuntu 10.4 LTS 64 bit for AMD processor.

First I tried Scicoslab 4.4.1 (scicoslab-gtk_4.4.1-1_amd64.maverick.deb) and Modnum 4.2.2. When I run Scicoslab, it complains that Modnum was compiled with Scicoslab 4.4 beta 7.

So, I remove 4.4.1 and install 4.4 beta 7. Now I get this message when I launch scicoslab:

Startup execution:
loading initial environment
... Search Scilab version ...
Version of ScicosLab is : 4.4b7
Version of Scicos is : scicos4.4
/home/skippy/modnum_422//interf/scicoslab/../../src/libmodnum_lib.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
"/../../src/libmodnum_lib.so")
!--error 236
link: the shared archive was not loaded
at line 55 of exec file called by :
exec(MODNUM+"/interf/scicoslab/loader.sce");
at line 16 of exec file called by :
exec(startup,-1);mclose(startup)
at line 272 of exec file called by :
exec('SCI/scilab.star',-1);;quit

So I try "./configure --with-scisrc=/usr/lib64/scicoslab-gtk-4.4b7" followed by "make all" gives pages of error messages.

Can you suggest which version of Scicoslab and which version of Modnum will be compatible?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Skippy

PS There is a installation support email address on the Modnum download page but it is dead.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Skippy,

I just installed Modnum to Scicoslab 4.4.1 under Debian 'squeeze' this afternoon. here's what I did:

- Tried to run the binary of Modnum 4.2.2 and got the same complaint as you did.
- Downloaded the source package instead and ran "exec ('builder.sce');)
- I had to install a few packages (and recursive dependencies) over and above what I already had (your mileage may vary): libgtk2.0-dev libvte-dev libwebkit-dev

It doesn't install to the scicoslab directories, but everything compiles and works beautifully. Give it a go.

Cheers,
The Plumber

More's the point:

Installing modnum into the scicoslab directories so that it loads automatically is done thus:

- Copy the modnum directory tree, as built using the instructions above, into (in my case): /usr/lib/scicoslab-gtk-4.4.1/contrib/
(you end up with the directory /usr/lib/scicoslab-gtk-4.4.1/contrib/modnum, for example)
- Edit /usr/lib/scicoslab-gtk-4.4.1/contrib/loader.sce to add:
exec(SCI+'/contrib/modnum/loader.sce');

Now scicoslab/scicos loads your shiny new modnum blocks, palettes, help, etc.

Cheers,
Pb

Many thanks Plumber

Dear Skippy,

Thank you for reaching out regarding your installation issues with Modnum and Scicoslab. I understand your frustration and would be happy to provide some guidance to help resolve this issue.

Firstly, it is important to note that compatibility between different versions of software can often be challenging and may require some troubleshooting. In this case, it seems that the versions you have chosen are not compatible with each other.

Based on the error messages you have provided, it appears that you are trying to use a 32-bit version of Modnum with a 64-bit version of Scicoslab. This is likely the cause of the "wrong ELF class" error.

To resolve this, I would recommend using a 64-bit version of Modnum with your 64-bit Scicoslab. You can try downloading a different version of Modnum, such as 4.4, which is compatible with Scicoslab 4.4 beta 7. You may also need to adjust your configure and make commands accordingly.

If you continue to experience difficulties, I would suggest reaching out to the developers of Modnum for further assistance. They may be able to provide more specific guidance for your particular setup.

I hope this helps and wish you success in getting Modnum and Scicoslab up and running. Science is all about problem-solving, so don't give up and keep experimenting!

Best,

1. What is Modnum and why is it used with Scicoslab?

Modnum is a numerical simulation software that is used in conjunction with Scicoslab, a modeling and simulation environment. Modnum allows for more advanced and accurate numerical calculations, which are necessary for certain types of simulations in Scicoslab.

2. How do I install Modnum with Scicoslab?

The installation process for Modnum with Scicoslab varies depending on your operating system. Generally, you will need to download the Modnum package and follow the installation instructions provided. You may also need to make some modifications to your Scicoslab configuration to integrate Modnum.

3. Can I use Modnum with other modeling and simulation software?

Yes, Modnum can be used with other software, but it is primarily designed for use with Scicoslab. Some compatibility issues may arise if using Modnum with other software, so it is best to consult the Modnum documentation for specific instructions.

4. Are there any limitations to using Modnum with Scicoslab?

While Modnum greatly expands the capabilities of Scicoslab, there may be some limitations depending on the specific simulation you are working on. For example, Modnum may not be suitable for simulations with very large or complex systems, or those that require real-time processing.

5. Is there any support available for Modnum with Scicoslab?

Yes, there is a dedicated community of users and developers for both Modnum and Scicoslab that can provide support and assistance with any issues you may encounter. Additionally, both Modnum and Scicoslab have extensive documentation and forums available for troubleshooting and learning more about their functionalities.