True or False: Atom Model Statements

• Thread starter sona1177
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses models of the atom and their validity. Bohr's realization of quantum conditions in atomic emission spectra is true, while Rutherford's belief that the nucleus was a small, massive center is only partially correct. The absorption and emission lines in a spectrum are not due to electrons being uniformly distributed in the nucleus, and the highest energy levels in an atom are close to E = 0 eV. Thomson's Plum Pudding Model is also true, despite the confusion between raisins and plums.
sona1177

Homework Statement

Which of the following statements are true about models of the atom?
Bohr realized that the discrete lines in atomic emission spectra suggested a quantum condition in the atom TRUE

Rutherford realized that an atom had a very massive center (nucleus) because he saw that alpha particles penetrated it like empty space false

the absorption and emission lines in a spectrum occur because electrons are distributed uniformly in the nucleus false

the highest energy levels in an atom are close to E = 0 eV
true
Thomson's model for the electrons in an atom resembled raisins distributed throughout a pudding false

What is wrong here?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
the last statement is actually TRUE. check theory Sona..

the second statement is half correct, concluding true or false is difficult.

supratim1 said:
the last statement is actually TRUE. check theory Sona..

well i thought he said it was plums in a pudding (plum pudding model), not raisins LOL.

oh, it doesn't matter whether its plums, raisins, cashews, eclairs, nuts, or strawberries...hahaha.

I tried
Bohr realized that the discrete lines in atomic emission spectra suggested a quantum condition in the atom TRUE

Rutherford realized that an atom had a very massive center (nucleus) because he saw that alpha particles penetrated it like empty space FALSE

the absorption and emission lines in a spectrum occur because electrons are distributed uniformly in the nucleus FALSE

the highest energy levels in an atom are close to E = 0 eV TRUE
Thomson's model for the electrons in an atom resembled raisins distributed throughout a pudding TRUE

BUT THIS IS MARKING ME WRONG

where are you trying out the answers by the way?

alright, so try next by marking the second statement on rutherford as TRUE and see.

supratim1 said:
where are you trying out the answers by the way?

alright, so try next by marking the second statement on rutherford as TRUE and see.

on "lon-capa". its making me crazy. I am on my last try. my book calls rutherford's experience the plum pudding model. so now i don't know whether

to mark the second one true and mark the last false
or mark the second one true and mark the last true also

:(

rutherford's experience the plum pudding model?

throw your book in the dustbin.

supratim1 said:
rutherford's experience the plum pudding model?

throw your book in the dustbin.

Im sorry, I should have said Rutherford's EXPERIMENT. yes, it calls it the plum-pludding model. that's why I am afraid to say true for "raisins"

listen Sona. Rutherfords experiment is not Plum-pudding model, his one is different. plum-pudding was proposed by Thomson. Rutherford found that entire mass is concentrated in a very small space called nucleus, and electrons revolve around it.

and raisins and plums, it makes no difference.

i suggest you go through a good theory book and clear your understanding first. or see it in wikipedia.

Oh my gosh, I am sorry Supratim! I am not thinking straight. I don't know why I keep messing them up. I mean to say "Thomson's Plum Pudding Model". I know the first is true, the third is false, and the fourth is true. The problematic ones are the second and last one. For example, I thought Rutherford found that the nucleus is small in size compared to the rest of the atom which is empty space. What do you mean when you say "half right" which part is correct?

I mean, alpha particles pass through it as if its empty space, is half info, the other half is that a few of them bounce back or get deflected, which means there is a nucleus which is small.

supratim1 said:
I mean, alpha particles pass through it as if its empty space, is half info, the other half is that a few of them bounce back or get deflected, which means there is a nucleus which is small.

OK Supratim so I am going to put
True
True
False
True
True

And hope for the best. thanks for all your help! I appreciate it!

Welcome Sona. anyways, you need not thank a friend. all the best!

check your private message inbox.

1. What is an atom model statement?

An atom model statement is a statement that describes the structure or behavior of an atom. It can be either true or false, and is used to explain the properties and interactions of atoms.

2. How are atom model statements determined to be true or false?

Atom model statements are determined to be true or false based on scientific evidence and experimentation. If an atom model statement is supported by consistent and repeatable results, it is considered to be true. However, if new evidence contradicts the statement, it may be revised or deemed false.

3. Are all atom model statements currently accepted by scientists?

No, not all atom model statements are currently accepted by scientists. Atom models are constantly being revised and updated as new evidence and technologies emerge. Some statements that were once considered true may be proven false in the future.

4. Why are atom model statements important in science?

Atom model statements are important in science because they help us understand and explain the fundamental building blocks of matter. They also allow us to make predictions and develop new technologies based on our understanding of atoms.

5. Can atom model statements change over time?

Yes, atom model statements can change over time as new evidence and technologies become available. As our understanding of atoms evolves, so do our models and statements about them. What may be considered true today may be proven false in the future.