Can someone tell me the commands of these in Mathematica/Wolframalpha?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various commands and techniques related to multiple integrals, row operations, and matrices. The individual is seeking help with understanding and using these commands, especially in regards to getting numerical answers and avoiding factoring in the final output. They also mention the use of "//N" in Mathematica for decimal output.
flyingpig
Alright I have been trying to figure out these commands for the past month and I could not get them. Hopefully one of you could lead me to it

Multiple Integrals in Polar Coordinates

Here is an example

Integrate[r, {r, 1, sqrt(2sin(2*theta))}, {theta, pi/12, 5pi/12}]

I typed this in and I get

[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP135219f87b7148ah12d000004fca37i7cda808h9?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=25&w=291&h=50

It does not give me a numerical answer

Row Operations with Elementary steps

I don't even know how to get this. I can get the rref(M) of a matrix M, but that's pretty much it...

I like to know the commands for echelon form

Leave the final answer in rref(A) without factoring

Let's say I have a matrix [tex]\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 5 & 7\\
1& -2 &-2
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I punch this into Wolframalpha using RowReduce{{1,5,7},{1,-2,-2}} and I get

[PLAIN]http://www4d.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP30119f87cg4dgd3fi1h00005c11c2c4cc7d2i70?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=60&w=76&h=36

See how they factor the 7 out? How do you make it so that it DOESN'T do that?

Leave answers in decimal in matrix

Pretty much the opposite of what is requested from before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use //N at the end of a line in Mathematica to give a decimal output.

I'm not sure about Wolfram Alpha.

1. What is Mathematica/Wolframalpha?

Mathematica is a software program developed by Wolfram Research that allows for mathematical computation, visualization, and programming. Wolframalpha is an online computational knowledge engine that utilizes the Mathematica software to provide answers and information on a wide range of topics.

2. How do I access Mathematica/Wolframalpha?

Mathematica can be purchased and downloaded from the Wolfram Research website or through various online retailers. Wolframalpha can be accessed for free through its website or through its mobile app.

3. What are the basic commands in Mathematica/Wolframalpha?

Some basic commands in Mathematica/Wolframalpha include arithmetic operations (+, -, *, /), variable assignment (using the = sign), and function definition (using the := operator). Other commands include plotting functions, solving equations, and performing matrix operations.

4. Can I use Mathematica/Wolframalpha for data analysis?

Yes, Mathematica and Wolframalpha have built-in functions and tools for data analysis, manipulation, and visualization. They can handle large datasets and perform statistical analysis, making them useful for various scientific research projects.

5. Is Mathematica/Wolframalpha user-friendly for beginners?

While Mathematica/Wolframalpha can be complex and have a steep learning curve, there are many resources available for beginners such as tutorials, documentation, and online communities. With some practice and dedication, it is possible for beginners to become proficient in using these tools for their scientific work.