Photoelectric: deBroglie

For instance, in this case, since 2.7 nm comes the closest to the answer in the calculations, I would go for that.
kevnm67

Homework Statement

A photocathode whose work function is 2.9 eV is illuminated with white light that has a continuous wavelength band from 400 nm to 700 nm.
A) What is the threshold frequency for photoelectron production?
a. 4 x 1014 Hz b. 7 x 1014 Hz c. 13 x 1014 Hz
B) What is the range of the wavelength band (in nm) in this white light illumination for which photoelectrons are produced?
a. 428 nm to 700 nm b. 400 nm to 428nm c. 300 nm to 400 nm
C) What is the deBroglie wavelength of an emitted electron with kinetic energy of 0.2 eV?
a. 2.5 nm b. 1.2 nm c. 2.7 nm

Homework Equations

f0 = E0/h

l = h/mv

c= f l

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to make sure I am solving these questions correctly. Here is what I did:

a) f0 = 2.9eV/4.14x10-15 = 7 x 1014

b) c = f l
=429 nm
So I said the range would start at 400 and go up to 429nm...the answer was 400-428 nm

c) l = h/mv
m= 9.11 x 10-31
v= 2.65 x 105 which I got from using 1/2 mv2=.2eV
I multiplied .2 eV by 1.6 x 10-19 J to get K
then squrt (2 x K/mass of electron)

l = (6.63 x 10-34J s)/(9.11 x 10-31)(2.65 x 105 m/s) = 3 nm

The answer was 2.7 nm

I wasn't sure if I was rounding differently or maybe did something wrong? Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can see why some of the answers differs from the correct ones. In b), since you like to use rounded values for your calculations, I assume you used 3*108 m/s for the speed of light in vacuum? Dividing this with the given answer from a will make your answer deviate. It all comes down to the accuracy of the values you used in your calculations. [3*108]/[7*1014] m deviates by 0.13 % whereas [2.998*108]/[7*1014] m deviates by 0.07 %, [2.99792458*108]/[7*1014] m by 0.06 %. Of course, it also depends on what level of accuracy the makers of the question used as [4.135669*10-15*2.99792458*108]/[2.9] m deviates by 0.11 % but is lucky enough to be rounded to the correct value.

In c it's basically the same thing - accuracy. Although, here there's also the number of significant figures to consider. You've rounded to one significant figure, which would be correct to do since the given information for the calculations gives the least number of significant figures as one. So based on that, I would say 3 nm is allowed. However, since you're given multiple answers to choose from, you'd be better of by choosing the one that comes the closest to the answer in the calculations.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation, such as light. This was first discovered by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. Who is deBroglie and what did he contribute to our understanding of the photoelectric effect?

Louis deBroglie was a French physicist who proposed the concept of wave-particle duality, stating that particles, such as electrons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This idea helped to explain the results of the photoelectric effect experiments and was a significant contribution to quantum mechanics.

3. How does the photoelectric effect support the idea of light as a particle?

The photoelectric effect shows that light, which was previously thought to only behave as a wave, can also behave as a stream of particles called photons. These photons have energy and can cause the emission of electrons from a material, providing evidence for the particle nature of light.

4. What is the deBroglie wavelength and how is it related to the photoelectric effect?

The deBroglie wavelength is a concept that describes the wavelength of a particle, such as an electron. It is given by the equation λ = h/mv, where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is its velocity. This wavelength is directly related to the energy of the particle and can help explain the energy levels of electrons emitted in the photoelectric effect.

5. What are some real-world applications of the photoelectric effect and deBroglie's theory?

The photoelectric effect is used in a variety of technologies, such as solar cells, photodiodes, and photomultiplier tubes. DeBroglie's theory of wave-particle duality has also led to further advancements in quantum mechanics and our understanding of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.